- CARNEGIE GREAT OUTDOORS
- About us
- Educational groups
- Corporate groups
- Families groups and individuals
- Outdoor qualifications
- Research and consultancy
Mountain Leader Assessment
The Mountain Leader (ML) assessment is a five day practical course on the mountains where you will demonstrate your knowledge and understanding of the syllabus and how to operate as a competent and safe Mountain Leader.
At CGO we are delighted to partner with a number of highly experienced outdoor professionals to offer the ML training and assessment courses.
Know before you book:
- You must have attended a Mountain Leader training course (or have been granted exemption)
- You must be familiar with all aspects of the syllabus, even if some parts were not covered in detail during training
- You must have logged a minimum of 40 Quality Mountain Days in three different regions of the UK and Ireland
- You must have logged at least 8 nights camping, including at least 4 nights wild camping
- You must have physically attended and completed (i.e. not online) a first aid course which involved at least two full days or 16 hours of instruction and included an element of assessment
- You must consolidate your ML training with a period of at least six months between attending the training course and attending the assessment. During this time you are expected to gain personal experience in mountain areas. This should preferably include some practice in leading parties in easy hill country. Working under the guidance of a suitably experienced leader in more difficult terrain is also recommended. Every opportunity should be taken to practise the skills learned during training.
Following your attendance on the ML assessment the Course Director will complete a course report on the Mountain Training CMS system which will record the outcome of your assessment and certification procedure.
- Assessment by an approved Mountain Training provider
What's not included:
- Personal Insurance
- Personal Equipment
For more information, please visit the Mountain Training website listed below.