- CARNEGIE GREAT OUTDOORS
- About us
- Educational groups
- Corporate groups
- Families groups and individuals
- Outdoor qualifications
- Research and consultancy
Mountain Leader Training
The Mountain Leader (ML) Award, accredited by Mountain Training, was established to promote the safe enjoyment of hills and mountains. This course provides practical training in the technical and group management skills required by those who wish to lead groups in the mountains, hills and moorlands of the UK and Ireland, in summer conditions.
At CGO we are delighted to partner with a number of highly experienced outdoor professionals to offer the ML training and assessment courses.
The ML Award is seen as an essential qualification for those wishing to work in the outdoor industry and with activity centres and client groups.
Completion of the ML training course, without a pass result at assessment, is not a qualification in itself; you must progress and complete the Mountain Leader Assessment.
Course Content (what will you learn)
- Group management and the responsibilities of the group leader
- Access and the environment
- Hazards (including steep ground and rivers) and emergency procedures
- Expedition skills
- Background knowledge
At the end of the six day programme you will receive one-to-one feedback with your course instructor which will help you identify areas of the syllabus that may require more attention. You are required to complete a consolidation period of at least six months between your training and the assessment in order to develop your skills and pay attention to any weaknesses identified during the training course.
This course is suitable for:
- Training by an approved Mountain Training provider
- Specialist outdoor equipment if required
What's not included:
- Personal Insurance
- Personal Equipment (we will provide a detailed kit list)
Prerequisites to attend
To get started on the Mountain Leader qualification you need to meet the following prerequisites:
- You must be at least 18 years old
- You should have at least a year’s worth of experience of mountain walking
- You should have an interest in leading groups in the mountains
- You must be a member of a mountaineering council: BMC, Mountaineering Scotland or Mountaineering Ireland (you can join one when you register if you're not already a member)
- You must be registered on the Mountain Training Mountain Leader Scheme
- You must have recorded a minimum of 20 Quality Mountain Days (ideally on DLOG) which can have taken place at any point (pre- or post-registration with Mountain Training)
This course takes place in one of the key mountain areas in the UK; we usually run this course in the Lake District or North Wales at one of our partner YHA hostels or Field Studies Council centres. We recommend that you arrange overnight accommodation either at the hostel or nearby for the duration of the course.
For the Mountain Leader, first aid is an essential skill and to take the Mountain Leader Assessment you must first hold a current 16-hour first aid qualification.
Mountain Leader training Testimonial
"The week I spent with CGO doing my Mountain Leader training was excellent. The course leader and the other two staff there to help were fantastic. Every section of the course combined learning and having fun in a way that reflected the passion that these facilitators have about their jobs. We were blessed with perfect weather which contributed to the general positive vibe I and the others got from the whole course."