msc sport and exercise science
Upgrade your knowledge of physiology, nutrition and biomechanics while gaining experience through research and a sports science internship.
Advance your expertise in sport and exercise science and boost your employment prospects in this competitive field
This course is designed to meet the professional standards set by industry governing organisation, the British Association of Sport & Exercise Sciences.
As part of your course you’ll:
- Enhance your awareness of the professional issues and research applications within health, exercise and sport
- Engage with consultancy and research projects and work with elite-level athletes
- Upgrade your knowledge of physiology, nutrition, biomechanics and psychology
- Gain experience through an independent project related to your specific interests
Exciting placement opportunities will help to further refine your knowledge, enhance your skills and boost your CV. Previous students have secured placements with Leeds United, Yorkshire Carnegie, Leeds Rhinos and SportsAid, a UK charity helping the next generation of sports stars achieve their potential.
Much of our outstanding and pioneering research feeds directly into our taught modules providing the opportunity for you to develop the professional skills and expertise in the area of sport and exercise science.
Why study Sport and exercise science at Leeds Beckett University
- Boost your employment prospects on a course designed to meet professional standards set by the British Association of Sport & Exercise Sciences
- Work alongside experienced lecturers and elite athletes to gain a comprehensive understanding of the field
- You will be among the first students to take advantage of the university’s new state-of-the-art Carnegie School of Sport building
- Take advantage of our sport volunteering opportunities, which have previously included global events such as the Olympics, World Athletics Championships and Commonwealth Games
My masters was a stepping stone to advancing my career as a Rehabilitation Therapist. It complemented my strengths in science and sport, enhancing my knowledge of injury management, physiology and biomechanics - making me a much more effective therapist.
everything you need to know
Grade: GPA of 2.5 or above
English language requirements: Bachelor degree from an American University
Other relevant qualifications may also be considered as part of your application. Please contact us for more details.
Fees & funding
Find out more about the cost of the course, which includes your university tuition, your accommodation fees, and your coaching programme.
TEACHING & LEARNING
We were awarded silver status in the latest Teaching Excellence Framework, reflecting our commitment to deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for our students.
As well as learning from expert tutors, you’ll be assigned an academic advisor to give you tailored feedback and support. Our subject-specific librarians will also direct you to the specialist learning and study-skills resources that will underpin your studies.
On this course, you will be assessed predominantly by coursework, with some examinations and practical assessments (this is a typical assessment balance if you study four of the core science discipline modules)
Your core modules are:
- Research Process
- Professional Practice (course aligned)
- Major independent Study
You must also select two modules from the core disciplines listed below:
- Measurement Techniques in Biomechanics (Biomechanics)
- Biomechanics of Human Gait (Biomechanics)
- Evidence Based Practice in Sport Physiology (Physiology)
- Mechanisms of Adaptation to Exercise Training (Physiology)
- Contemporary Issues in Sport Psychology (Psychology)
- Psychology of Exercise & Health (Psychology)
- Sport & Exercise Nutrition (Nutrition)
- Ergogenic Practices & Nutritional Manipulation in Sport & Exercise Nutrition (Nutrition)