Information for applicants
Latest advice for applicants
Learning and teaching plans for September 2020
We are currently developing detailed plans for when we re-open our campuses in September. Our clear priority is the safety and wellbeing of our students and staff while still delivering the rewarding and stimulating university experience you will expect.
In doing so we’re aiming to ensure all students:
- will have access to excellent teaching, learning and support;
- will have access to the specialist facilities and equipment they need;
- can spend time on campus as soon and as much as practical, based on the need to manage the campus safely;
- are kept fully up to date with new information as soon as it becomes available.
To enable us to achieve this, our academic schools are considering the individual needs of each subject area and how they can be met. In the coming weeks we’ll contact applicants with clear details of what their teaching experience will look like this autumn. For our international applicants, this will take place prior to issuing the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS - required for your student visa).
We have already taken some decisions as follows:
- Our academic year will begin at the normal time, which for many of our students will be week commencing 21 September (please note some courses have different term dates, this information can be found on the online prospectus on the relevant course pages).
- We’re investing more, so you’ll have access to the technologies you’ll need, ensuring you’ll be able to access online learning where it is necessary.
- We are working to adapt our campus to enable social distancing, so that small-group teaching can continue where possible.
These are the first headlines from a plan that will develop in the coming weeks. We will keep applicants fully informed and provide more information as government guidance is provided, to develop into a complete picture of each applicant’s university experience from September.
Latest advice for applicants: offer making
On Monday 4 May the Department for Education (DfE) and Office for Students (OfS) began consultation with universities that would see a pause in unconditional offer-making confirmed for one-year. The consultation closed on 26 May and the University is now awaiting its outcomes.
These rules apply to all universities in England.