Information for students

Health and wellbeing

On 22 February the Prime Minister announced details of the Government's easing of lockdown restrictions in England. Please check the Government website for details of the rules and restrictions.

We can all protect ourselves and others by following government advice around social distancingshielding of extremely vulnerable peopleself-isolating and testing and tracing if we display any symptoms

Use the NHS 111 online coronavirus service if:

  • you feel you cannot cope with your symptoms at home
  • your condition gets worse
  • your symptoms do not get better after 7 days

If you need to book a coronavirus test you can apply online or call 119.

Only call 111 if you cannot get help online.

Wellbeing support

Most people with coronavirus (COVID-19) experience mild symptoms that can be managed at home without medical intervention. 

Take paracetamol to ease discomfort and reduce your temperature. You can also take ibuprofen if necessary. Drink plenty of fluids and get lots of rest. If you have a cough lie on your side or sit upright rather than lying on your back. Try a teaspoon of honey and drink warm fluids. If you are experiencing breathlessness turn the heating down or try opening a window (don’t use a fan as this can spread the virus). Keeping as relaxed as possible can help. Try breathing slowly through your nose and out through your mouth, relaxing your shoulders, and sitting upright and comfortably in a chair. You can find more tips and information at NHS guidance on managing symptoms at home.

Feeling breathless can be a sign of a more serious coronavirus infection. If you feel breathless and it's getting worse, get medical advice from the NHS 111 online coronavirus service.

It’s important that you complete the reporting form if you have symptoms of coronavirus, have received a positive test result, or are having to self isolate because of contact with others, so that you can let us know if you need any help, support or further advice. If you prefer you can:

Student Services will then ensure that your concerns are addressed by the appropriate team. To find out more about the range of support available to our students see our Student Information Page and our A-Z of Services.

NHS Volunteer Responders can also help you while you have to stay at home (self-isolate).

Student Services are supporting students and colleagues via their normal online web, telephone and email services. 

We appreciate that many of you may have gone home or may be self-isolating at various points in the coming weeks and we want to ensure that we will continue to support you during this time.

Our services include Disability Advice, Student Money, Student Wellbeing, and the Student Advice Hub. If you’d just like someone to talk to or you’re unsure how these services might help you our Student Advice Hub is there to listen, advise or point you in the right direction. 

You can call them on 0113 812 3000 or email

All our telephone lines are open as usual 09.00-17.00, Monday to Friday, and details for all teams can be found at our A-Z of Services and at the Student Hub.

It is really important that you keep your contact details in MyBeckett up to date to ensure we are able to support you during your online teaching period. 

Please ensure you continue to keep your ID card safe so that you can access services on campus. In the eventuality that you do require a replacement card you should contact the Student Advice Hub.

Student Wellbeing is here to provide you with counselling and support for your mental health right up until Christmas break. To access this help, register and book your first appointment. In addition, we’ve been working with partner organisations to provide you with a range of resources to help you look after your mental health during this difficult time: 

Kooth online counselling and emotional support

Kooth is available to all LBU students and you can access free counselling via instant messaging, as well as drop-in chats to discuss any difficulties you may be experiencing - Mon to Fri from 12:00 to 22:00, weekends from 18:00 to 22:00. Register with your Leeds Beckett student email address.  It is available to you every day of the year and throughout Christmas break.

Leeds Mental Wellbeing Service (NHS) 

Leeds Mental Wellbeing Service offers online courses and face-to-face classes for our students who have a Leeds GP, as well as talking therapies which are currently being delivered by video or telephone (including CBT and counselling).  

Upcoming sessions include:

Student Mental Wellbeing Session, 12 Nov 2020, 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm.

The session is based on CBT self-help techniques and is delivered by qualified practitioners, Understand stress and anxiety, how it works and impacts us, and learn techniques to manage your mental wellbeing.

There are other events advertised on our Student Wellbeing page including a Coping with Covid session and Young Black Minds which provides peer support for anyone in the Black community in Leeds aged 16 – 25 who identifies as male. We have also recorded some short sessions on topics including eating disorders, anxiety, depression, coping with difficult thoughts, improving self-esteem, and how to find help in a crisis. These can be found on the self-help resources tab of our Student Wellbeing page.

MindWell has lots of helpful information about mental health and has been working with us to develop resources specifically for students.

Student Space is a new service providing dedicated support services for students, by phone or text as well as Information and tools to help you through the challenges of coronavirus. 

Coronavirus is affecting all of us and many people are feeling anxious and worried. MindWell’s Coronavirus Mental Health Information Hub has resources, videos and information to help people in Leeds take care of their mental health at this challenging time.

If you have a Reasonable Adjustment Plan, your Course Director will have reviewed this, liaising with the Disability Advice team to ensure your needs are met. View our updated Disability Advice on how reasonable adjustments and disability support will work in 2021.

Leeds Beckett Students’ Union Advice Service provides confidential and independent free help and advice to all students at Leeds Beckett University. The LBSU Advice Service offers a wide range of information, advice and representation. 

It's important to look after yourself at university, whether that's making time to see your GP, taking some well deserved self care time or even just making sure that you switch off at the end of the day. Visit the Students' Union website for more information on how to contact the LBSU Advice Service.

Bereavement support is available to students via the Student Wellbeing Team and Chaplaincy. Contact our Student Wellbeing Team for more information:

Students who are clinically extremely vulnerable are advised to study from home and not to go into their university or higher education setting. Individuals in this group will have been identified through a letter from the NHS or from their GP and may have been advised to shield in the past.

Students who live with someone who is clinically extremely vulnerable, but who are not clinically extremely vulnerable themselves, should still attend education.

If you intend to stay at home then please notify your course by contacting your Course Director or Course Administrator directly. Please note you should always follow Government guidance.

If you need support self-isolating, visit the following websites:

  • Find help in your local area
  • If you or someone else you  care for need support during isolation, visit the NHS Volunteer Responders website or call 0808 196 3646 (08:00 – 20:00). NHS Volunteers are people in your community who have offered to help pick up groceries, collect prescriptions and talk to you if you need support
  • Read guidance on shielding and protecting people who are at high risk from Covid-19 on the Government website
  • We recognise that self-isolation can be hard. If you are feeling low or worried, check out these tips and advice from the NHS

The NHS in Leeds has provided a feel better guide to help keep you happy, healthy and feeling your best this winter. The guide will help you find the right health service when you're not feeling too well, as well as a range of information and advice.

Our self-help page provides you with a range of information, resources and tools aimed at promoting your wellbeing. You can access this information alongside support you may already be receiving; or if you don’t feel ready to speak to someone but would like some further information on how to cope.

There are a number of helpful resources to help maintain mental wellbeing during the Covid-19 outbreak:

Alongside using these resources we strongly encourage you to talk to your local doctor or appropriate health professional about any concerns you may have. The information provided in the resources are not a substitute for proper diagnosis or treatment by an appropriate health professional.

For guided self-help information on specific topics, please take a look at a collection of comprehensive self help guides developed by the NHS Foundation Trust.

Health advice

Following the Public Health England and NHS advice you must regularly wash your hands for at least 20 seconds at a time. 

This short film follows people taking part in typical activities to show just how many things they typically touch and to remind people how important it is to wash their hands.

The Government has advised that from 17 May face coverings will no longer be compulsory for students and staff in classrooms and communal areas where social distancing and good ventilation is maintained and which are not part of teaching activity requiring the wearing of PPE.

The Government recommends that face coverings should be worn by staff and visitors in situations outside of classrooms where social distancing is not possible (for example, when moving around in corridors and communal areas).

Colleagues and students should carry a face covering with them at all times on campus and look out for the signs that indicate they are in a face covering zone.

Considerations on recommending the use of face coverings where teaching settings are more reflective of a workplace environment will be given by Schools and Service areas. 

A face covering must be worn by everyone (except those with a genuine exemption) in areas directed by appropriate signage and where social distancing or good ventilation is difficult to maintain.

The latest health advice is that one-ply face coverings may be less effective in the presence of the new Covid-19 variant and the use of a multi-layered face covering is recommended. The university has distributed multi-layered face coverings to colleagues and students since last September and will continue to ensure that the face coverings bought and distributed on campus meet the advised specification.

Multi-layered face coverings are being made available for staff and students while stocks last.

Yes, you must wear a face covering unless you are exempt under the current Government guidelines.

Some individuals are exempt from wearing face coverings for age, health or disability reasons and we expect staff and students to be sensitive to those needs. Full details of who this applies to can be found here.

Some people with a valid reason for not wearing a face covering may feel more comfortable showing something that says they do not have to wear a face covering. You can download templates from the government website for an exemption card and badge

Campus ambassadors will be in place for the first few weeks of term to help colleagues and students get to know the new one-way systems and find hand sanitiser stations. They will also promote the guidance around social distancing and face coverings.

If you have symptoms you must follow government guidance around testing and tracing and self-isolation.

You should contact the university to make us aware if you are self-isolating. Please contact the Student Advice Hub via one of:

Although you might not be able to entirely separate yourself from family members or flatmates, the advice is to limit contact as much as possible. You should follow the NHS guidance around reducing the spread of infection in your home.

At university, a household will generally be people who are living in a shared house or flat and sharing a kitchen. It doesn't include everyone in the same hall block.  

If you are self-isolating it is important that everybody you share your living accommodation, or who is in your social bubble, follows the government guidance on self-isolation and testing and tracing.


During the pandemic it is important that you look after your mental wellbeing, eat a balanced diet and exercise regularly. We've brought together a range of activities and advice which will have a positive impact on your mental and physical health.

Abstract image of sun coming through trees
male student smiling