Degree Apprenticeship: Architecture Degree Apprenticeships (Level 7)

Architecture

Successful graduates are awarded Master of Architecture (MArch) Part 2 and PG Cert Architectural Professional Practice Part 3 architecture qualifications from Leeds Beckett University, as well as a Level 7 degree apprenticeship qualification.

CONTACT US
Architecture

Course Overview

  • Attendance


    Part Time
  • Duration


    4.5 years
  • Cost


    For levy payers costs are met by the apprenticeship levy through your digital account £21000 over two years (subject to confirmation)

The Architect Degree Apprenticeship Level 7 is an integrated apprenticeship, which incorporates on-programme academic (off-the-job) learning with workplace (on-the-job) learning, culminating in an End Point Assessment (EPA) to test the knowledge, skills and behaviours as detailed in the Architect Apprenticeship Standard. The EPA comprises of case study report based on a design challenge, a career appraisal and interview.  

The Architect Apprenticeship Standard is mapped against the current Architects Registration Board (ARB) and Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) Part 2 (Master of Architecture part-time) and Part 3 (PG Cert in Architectural Professional Practice) criteria. Leeds Beckett University provides the Part 2 and Part 3 academic components whilst apprentices are in continuous full-time employment. The off-the-job learning comprises a minimum of 20% of the entire duration of the Apprenticeship with the on-the-job learning providing the remaining 80%.

Apprentices attend off-the-job learning activities alongside other students enrolled in the existing Master of Architecture (Part 2) and PG Cert Architectural Professional Practice (Part 3) courses. 

The MArch, Part 2 component, is a creative, studio-focused course with a strong commitment to design research.  With the design studio taking centre stage during your MArch 2 component studies, you will be challenged to develop solutions to a series of architectural design problems. You will explore current topical issues in architecture, including historical and philosophical thought, contemporary conditions of urban inhabitation, challenges to a sustainable ecology and the ramifications of modern technology. You will forge an individual approach to architecture as you explore your personal interests in relation to city, regional, national and global design perspectives. 

The school is closely linked to professional societies, such as Leeds Society of Architects, West Yorkshire Society of Architects and RIBA Yorkshire region, and provides a vibrant environment for architectural debate. You will study with a diverse body of leading practitioners, academic educators and visiting professors who will provide a wide range of opportunities for architectural discussion, stimulation and engagement.

In the Professional Certification Architectural Professional Practice, Part 3 component, you will benefit from a flexible learning programme comprising a series of concentrated study blocks. We have close relationships with established practitioners, academics and leading consultants, who will provide exposure to a wide range of topical issues in contracts, law, economics and management. 

We have links throughout the region, nationally and internationally with architectural practices, with external tutors coming from their own established practices to offer you the best possible tuition.

See examples of MArch 2 work from previous students by visiting the Leeds School of Arts festival site or our 2019 Research Yearbook; Volume 1, Volume 2, Volume 3, Volume 4 & Volume 5.

You can also follow us on Instagram and Twitter

Professional Experience and maximum 80% on-the-job Learning
 

This apprenticeship enables apprentices to apply to become a Registered and Chartered Architect upon successful completion. Individuals need to hold ARB-prescribed awards at Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3 levels before they are eligible for registration.  Since the Architect Apprenticeship Standard is designed to align with the latter two awards, it is compulsory for the apprentice to have completed the minimum of an ARB-prescribed Part 1 qualification or Part 1 equivalent as prescribed by the ARB prior to entry onto the course. Validated by RIBA, but subject to being prescribed by ARB.

Emily Horne, Architect at Adam Architecture Emily talks about her current career, her experience of studying at Leeds Beckett, and the degree apprenticeship

Download course details

A downloadable PDF of course details.

Architecture Degree Apprenticeship (Level 7) Course Details PDF