Chartered Legal Executive (Level 6)
As a leading legal educator in the city of Leeds, Leeds Law School offers employers of paralegals the opportunity to support the professional development of their employees seeking to qualify as a fellow of CILEx (Chartered Institute of Legal Executive) and become a Legal Executive Lawyer.
To be eligible, an apprentice will already need to be in possession of a qualifying law degree and to have started their qualifying employment.
The apprenticeship is delivered over two years. The teaching element of the apprenticeship takes place during the first year, divided across two 12-week semesters during which apprentices undertake three level 6 modules. This is either on a day / half day release basis, or attending study in the late afternoon on one or two days per week.. The second year culminates in an end point assessment (EPA), for which the university provides supervision and support during the second year in readiness for submission.
Everything you need to know
Modules studied on the programme:
- Client Care Skills
- Civil Litigation
Applicants must already be in possession of a qualifying law degree (QLD) or the Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL). By the start date of the apprenticeship, the apprentice should already have undertaken the first year of a minimum of three years qualifying employment (as defined by CILEx). GCSE English Language and Mathematics at Grade C (Grade 4) or above or an equivalent qualification.
How does the Degree Apprenticeship work?
Apprentices are in full time qualifying employment whilst undertaking this two year apprenticeship. An apprentice has the advantage of being able to quickly utilise knowledge and skills acquired during their studies within the workplace for the benefit of clients and colleagues and their own professional development.
In the first year of the apprenticeship, Client Care Skills is assessed by way of a combination of coursework and a presentation whilst Civil Litigation and Conveyancing are assessed by way of an examination.
Study takes place on campus at the university, most likely at City Campus. Supervision meetings will generally be held on campus. There will also be some work place visits during the apprenticeship.
How to Apply
Apply direct to an employer offering opportunities on the programme. View our current vacancies for details of what apprenticeships are currently available.
T: 0113 812 4500
There may be flexibility over fees and start dates depending on the number of students from a single employer.
Download course details
A downloadable PDF of course details.
Information for Employers
Our Chartered Legal Executive Apprenticeship enables apprentices to develop the knowledge and professional competencies required by CILEx while mastering the skills, knowledge and behaviours to ensure they are competent to qualify as a Chartered Legal Executive.
- Every apprenticeship must have an Apprenticeship Agreement. This is a contract of service between the apprentice and the employer, confirming the apprenticeship and the standard being undertaken. This will be supplemented by a ‘Statement of Commitment’ signed by the employer, provider and apprentice, setting out the expectations, roles and responsibility of each party involved in the apprenticeship.
- Apprentices must be employed and paid at least a minimum wage appropriate to their age and job role.
- The employer will be responsible for recruitment of degree apprenticeships. However, we can work with you to promote your opportunities via our website
- The employer will provide paid time off for on-campus study.
- Apprentices require a mentor in the workplace who will oversee their learning and coordinate with the university
If the annual pay bill of your organisation exceeds £3m you will pay for your apprenticeship training through your levy account.
If you are a non-levy paying organisation the government will co-fund your apprenticeship training by contributing 95% of the costs and you will pay the remaining 5% of cost.
For further information on apprenticeship funding visit the Government website.