Facebook tracking pixel
To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video

MA Town & Regional Planning (Chartered Town Planner Apprenticeship)


Entry Requirements
Please see below.
 
Fees

Fees for the course will be a maximum of £9,000*.

Course duration

2 years

How to apply

Individuals 
Apply direct to an employer offering opportunities on the programme. Visit our website for details of current vacancies.

Business 
T: 0113 812 4500

There may be flexibility over fees and start dates depending on the number of students from a single employer.
Download Course Details Right Arrow

How does the degree apprenticeship work?

New or existing employees study as apprentices for two years, attending university one day a week. A tailored learning package to meet the Chartered Town Planner standard is agreed between the employer, the university and the apprentice. Apprentices spend 24 days a year or more at university and they also have assignments and further academic study as part of their 20% ‘off-the-job’ training. However, the bulk of the learning happens in the workplace and will include shadowing team members and learning a range of planning duties. On concluding their course, apprentices take an End Point Assessment and, if they are successful, become Chartered Town Planners.

Course structure

Apprentices learn about the development plan framework, planning law and planning theory, interpreting and applying policy, community engagement and urban design. Students also complete a major project on a specialist planning issue that interests them.

Example modules:

  • Planning & Making Spatial Strategies
  • Managing Places & Spaces
  • Theoretical Contexts Example Modules
  • Sustainable Communities
  • Research Methods
  • Strategic & European Contexts
  • Policy Implementation and Appraisal
  • Dissertation 
 

Employer benefits

Plus Icon Employer Requirements
  • Every apprenticeship must have an Apprenticeship Agreement. This is a contract of service between the apprentice and the employer confirming the apprenticeship and standard being undertaken. This will be supplemented by a ‘Statement of Commitment’ signed by the employer, provider and apprentice, setting out the expectations, roles and responsibility of each party involved in the apprenticeship.
  • Apprentices must be employed and paid at least a minimum wage appropriate to their age and job role.
  • The employer will be responsible for recruitment of degree apprenticeships. However, we can work with you to promote your opportunities via our web site.
  • The employer will provide paid time off for on-campus study.
  • Apprentices are required to undergo structured work experience to work towards the attainment of the standards required to become a Chartered Town Planner.
  • Apprentices require a mentor in the workplace who will oversee their learning and coordinate with the university
Plus Icon Funding

If the annual pay bill of your organisation exceeds £3m you will pay for your apprenticeship training through your levy account. If you are a non-levy paying organisation the government will co-fund your apprenticeship training by contributing 95% of the costs and you will pay the remaining 5% costs.

Back to Top Button
Back to Top Button