A Leeds Law School Symposium on Prevent
Prevent is a pre-criminal stage, no one is prosecuted under it, and it is a multi-agency response to help those who are referred to it. However, suspicions remain that Prevent is another layer of state surveillance on suspect communities, a view not helped with the introduction of the statutory responsibility on those working in education, prisons and health to deal with individuals who behave or express terms that raise cause for concern.
Since the UK’s Prevent strategy was introduced in 2006 it has courted a great deal of controversy, mainly through its initial focus being on violent Islamist extremism. This created a feeling that Muslims became the suspect community, similar to that witnessed during the 1968-1998 Irish troubles when Irish Catholics and British born Catholics of Irish descent were perceived as the suspect community in the UK.
Since the strategy was revamped in 2011, Prevent is aimed at helping all those who are vulnerable to being drawn towards terrorism and covers all forms of extremism from Islamist, far-right, violent animal rights and Irish republicanism and loyalism.
Our speakers have either practice experience or are academics researching Prevent. They will discuss various issues related to Prevent and the section 26 Counter Terrorism and Security Act 2015 duty.
We are delighted to welcome*:
- Mushaq Hussein OBE, Senior Youth Worker, Marsden heights Community College
- Dr David Lundie, Course Director in Education, Liverpool Hope University
- Phil Arnold, Inspire and Educate Manchester
- Stuart Wroe, Lecturer, Department of Health, Psychology and Social Studies, University of Cumbria
- Sue Harris, Prevent Consultancy and former Home Office Regional Head of Prevent, Merseyside
- Dr David Lowe, Senior Research Fellow, Leeds Law School, Leeds Beckett University
- Robin Bennett, Graduate Teaching Assistant, Leeds Law School, Leeds Beckett University
This event is free to students, with a small charge for other attendees
*speakers correct at time of promotion
19 September 2019
19 September 2019
- 09:30 - 16:30
Rose Bowl, Lecture Theatre F, City Campus, Leeds Beckett University