BAME Leaders' Round Table Event
A roundtable event to discuss Race and Education. The aim is to put race back on the educational agenda and identify actions to address key themes.
The Centre for Race, Education and Decoloniality in the Carnegie School of Education at Leeds Beckett University in partnership with Prince Henry's Grammar School and the Equality and Diversity Hub would like to cordially invite you to participate in a round table discussion related to race and education. Why talk about race now?
• The pupil population in schools is becoming increasingly diverse just over one third of primary and nearly a third of secondary pupils are from minority ethnic groups yet the teacher workforce does not reflect this diversity. • 93.0% of headteachers are White British as are 90.0% of deputy or assistant headteachers. DfE (2018) data shows that headteachers were least likely to be from Mixed White and Black African, Bangladeshi, Chinese or from Other Black backgrounds.
• The Annual Newly Qualified Teacher (NQT) Survey shows only 53% of NQTs felt well or very well prepared to teach pupils of all ethnicities
• 39% felt equally well prepared to teach pupils for whom English is an additional language.
• There has been a rise in exclusions for racism
• The persistent issue of the exclusion of Black boys from schools. They are 3.5 times more likely to be excluded.
• The curriculum still remains predominantly Eurocentric. What are the aims of the event? The aim is to put race back on the educational agenda and identify actions to address key themes. What do we hope to achieve?
• Develop a BAME leaders’ network associated with CRED
• Develop a consensus on the issues we identify associated with race and education
• Identify collective actions which can be taken to advance issues discussed at the meeting related to race and education
• Identify opportunities to develop links between CRED and schools to advance our ideas on enhancing the curriculum in relation to race and ethnicity. For further information please download the flyer and booking form.
23 March 2020
23 March 2020
- 12:00 - 15:30pm
Macaulay 122, Headingley Campus, Leeds, LS6 3QS