ma architecture futures
Develop expertise that will enable you to engage with architecture and the built environment in new, creative, innovative and socially responsible ways.
Combining modules that explore architectural design, this course will help you gain an in-depth knowledge and skillset across design, arts, media and humanities.
As part of your course you'll:
- Focus on four interdisciplinary strands: ARCHITECTURAL AGENCY & PRACTICE; DIGITAL ARCHITECTURES; ARCHITECTURE & MEDIA; ARCHITECTURE & URBANISM
- Produce a focused research project in writing
- Develop expertise in appropriate design research methodologies
- Build skills, knowledge and critical judgement for the advanced study of architecture
MA Architecture Futures aims to provide an education that stimulates academic achievement, personal initiative, and acquisition of inter and trans-disciplinary knowledge and skills.
You will focus on one of four prominent interdisciplinary strands including:
- ARCHITECTURAL AGENCY & PRACTICE, exploring the crucial issues of architectural agency and its forms of social engagement
- DIGITAL ARCHITECTURES, including the use of computational techniques in architecture to produce solutions within material and social systems
- ARCHITECTURE & MEDIA, using innovative integration of different media in the process of architectural and urban design
- ARCHITECTURE & URBANISM, considering aspects of environmental concerns, infrastructure, policy, territory, reuse and appropriation
- All themes are considered in the contemporary transformation and expansion of the architectural discipline
Your modules will help you to develop a conceptual and critical approach to the architecture project, while key modules will give you the option to choose a research (written) or a design pathway (design portfolio).
Using a series of case studies, you will identify and demonstrate new perspectives on existing knowledge and practice and will be expert in suggesting innovative solutions to a range of complex urban issues.
Suitable for graduates from a range of architectural and spatial or environmental design disciplines, this course is focused on education through strong research methodologies that inform research-led design and critical reflection. You will be encouraged and supported as you develop specialist knowledge in the landscape of architecture, spatial and interdisciplinary practice.
For examples of the work produced in our architecture studios, check out our Leeds School of Arts website, our Leeds School of Arts Festival 2020, our End of Year Show Guide 2019, or our 2019 Research Yearbook; Volume 1, Volume 2, Volume 3, Volume 4 & Volume 5. You can also follow us on Instagram and Twitter.
You will join a community of fellow postgraduate students from architecture, landscape design and urban design and you will be encouraged to collaborate with your peers to create a forum for exploration, experimentation, discussion and group-based learning.
Extended learning opportunities
There will be opportunities to attend activities such as the Architecture Open Lecture Series, symposia, workshops and interdisciplinary related events alongside fellow architecture and landscape students.
You will have access to an excellent learning environment which includes multimedia studios equipped with computers, pin-up areas and dedicated desk areas, and in addition you have access to the school 3D Model shop, a 24/7 library and specialist workshops.
Why study architectture futures at Leeds Beckett University
- Explore architectural design alongside skills and ideas from design, arts, media and humanities
- Benefit from the school's close links to architecture practices in the Yorkshire region, throughout the UK, and beyond
- Gain from the course team's extensive industry knowledge and professional networks
- Leeds Beckett is home to project office, our own in-house RIBA chartered architectural practice
- Study within Leeds School of Arts - one of the largest university arts communities in the north, with 3000 students spread across over 40 courses and 170 years of inspiring, challenging and innovative practices
- Take advantage of the interdisciplinary nature of the the school; gain access to a vast range of ideas, skills and facilities which will allow you to shape your practice to suit you
Studying a degree at Leeds Beckett puts you in very good company – we have alumni in more than 140 countries around the world.
everything you need to know
Qualification: Bachelor degree
Grade: 2.5 GPA for 2:2 equivalent
English language requirements (one of the below):
- IELTS 6.0 with no skill below 5.5
- All India Senior School Certificate (CBSE) – English Grade 70%
- Indian School Certificate (Class-XII) (CISCE) – English Grade 70%
fees and funding
The tuition fee for the year for international students entering in 2021/22 is £14,000.
We are pleased to offer students from India a £3,000 postgraduate scholarship. In addition, the Dean of the Leeds School of Art is pleased to offer exclusive scholarships of £1,000 to students from India wishing to study the Architecture Futures programme.
This means the final cost of your course will be £10,000 for one year of study.
TEACHING & LEARNING
Independent study is a crucial part of learning at university and you will be required to undertake many hours of self-directed research and reading, and preparation and writing of assessments. Your course is delivered through a number of modules, which will help you to plan your time and establish a study routine. Outside of your lectures, workshops and tutorials, a range of support is available to assist with your independent study. Our subject-specific librarians will be on hand to direct you to the specialist learning and study-skill resources. You’ll also be assigned an academic advisor to give you tailored feedback and support.
Our silver status in the latest Teaching Excellence Framework, reflects our commitment to deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for our students.
- Interdisciplinary Design
- Design Studio A / B
- Research Methods
- Critical Contexts