Ma Sports Development and Management
Deepen your critical understanding of the key issues and challenges facing professionals in contemporary sport development settings in the UK and around the world.
This course is multi-disciplinary in nature, meaning that you will critically examine many aspects of sport development. These include strategic management, leadership, governance, diversity and inclusion, and sport for development.
Through the completion of your Independent Project, you will develop a specialism in an area of interest and vocational relevance. This will include an option to undertake a professional project in partnership with an organisation within the sport development industry. For current practitioners, this will allow you to take more control of your career development.
The MA Sport Development & Management is suitable for recent graduates or current practitioners in sport development / administration or related occupations. Applications are welcomed from UK and international applicants, all of whom will benefit equally from the course.
As a student in the Carnegie School of Sport, you will benefit from the expertise and experience of our team of tutors. The academic team boasts extensive industry experience and a strong research profile. We have been leaders in the academic sport development field for more than twenty years. In addition, the course is augmented by a range of high-profile guest speakers and excellent partnerships with industry.
We understand that every students needs are unique, and have therefore ensured that your course can be tailored accordingly. You will be able to select from a lengthy and diverse range of option modules, in areas such as events management, economic and financial decision making and physical activity & health. Assessments across the course can be applied to your own work circumstances should you so wish. Alternatively, you will be able to explore less familiar aspects of sport development in order to broaden your knowledge and understanding.
For those with vocational aspirations, the Independent Project provides the opportunity to undertake a piece of consultancy on behalf of an external sport organisation. Alternatively, you may wish to complete an in-depth academic investigation that may pave the way for future doctoral study.
Why study Sports development and management at Leeds Beckett University
- Through completion of an Independent Project, you'll develop a specialism in an area of interest and vocational relevance
- Choose from a diverse range of modules such as events management, economic and financial decision making and physical activity & health
- Meet internationally renowned guest speakers, giving you a wider view on the industry, and the direction it is heading
- Benefit from the University's excellent partnerships with industry
- Study in the university’s new £45m state-of-the-art Carnegie School of Sport building. The building will include a wealth of outstanding facilities, including dedicated research laboratories, a hypoxic laboratory and an indoor sprint track for performance training and analysis
Studying a degree at Leeds Beckett puts you in very good company – we have alumni in more than 140 countries around the world.
everything you need to know
Qualification: Bachelor degree
Grade: 2.5 GPA for 2:2 equivalent
English language requirements (one of the below):
- IELTS 6.0 with no skill below 5.5
- All India Senior School Certificate (CBSE) – English Grade 70%
- Indian School Certificate (Class-XII) (CISCE) – English Grade 70%
fees and funding
The tuition fee for the year for international students entering in 2021/22 is £14,000.
We are pleased to offer students from India a £3,000 postgraduate scholarship. In addition, the Dean of the Carnegie School of Sport is pleased to offer exclusive scholarships of £1,000 to students from India wishing to study the MA Sports Development and Management programme.
This means the final cost of your course will be £10,000 for one year of study.
TEACHING & LEARNING
Independent study is a crucial part of learning at university and you will be required to undertake many hours of self-directed research and reading, and preparation and writing of assessments. Your course is delivered through a number of modules, which will help you to plan your time and establish a study routine. Outside of your lectures, workshops and tutorials, a range of support is available to assist with your independent study. Our subject-specific librarians will be on hand to direct you to the specialist learning and study-skill resources. You’ll also be assigned an academic advisor to give you tailored feedback and support.
Our silver status in the latest Teaching Excellence Framework, reflects our commitment to deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for our students.
- Sport for development
- Sport business research skills
- Strategic management
- Global sports policy and governance
- Applied social theory in sport
- Independent project
- Advanced leadership in sport
- Innovations in PE
- Professional practice in the sport industry
- Public health intervention and evaluation
- Sports events: impacts, issues and policy