MSc Psychology of Sport and Exercise
Acquire knowledge, skills and applied experience as part of a formal route to becoming a Chartered Sport and Exercise Psychologist.
Accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS), this course focuses on the study of psychology within a range of sport and exercise settings, providing an essential stepping-stone to becoming a Chartered Sport & Exercise Psychologist.
As part of your course you’ll:
- Learn how to conduct initial assessments of clients
- Look at how to maintain professional boundaries
- Analyse data sets
- Develop a systematic, evidence-informed and ethical approach to your work
To support your career goals, you’ll have the opportunity to gain practical experience working with a range of clients, from recreational to elite performers, across a variety of sporting pursuits. This hands-on approach will aid your professional development, enhancing your understanding of ethical and evidence-informed practice.
The course makes you eligible for stage 2 of the qualification in Sport & Exercise Psychology and after completing BPS Stage 1 and Stage 2 qualifications, you’ll be able to use the titles of Sport and Exercise Psychologist, Registered Psychologist or Practitioner Psychologist. Members of our highly experienced team are qualified to provide BPS Stage 2 supervision.
Why study psychology of sport and exercise at Leeds Beckett University
- This course is accredited by the British Psychological Society, providing an essential stepping stone to becoming a Chartered Sports & Exercise Psychologist
- Gain practical experience working with recreational to elite performers, across a variety of sporting pursuits
- Develop an in-depth understanding of psychology, adopting a critical approach to its application within sport and exercise settings
- You'll be among the first students to take advantage of the university’s new state-of-the-art Carnegie School of Sport building
- Take advantage of our sport volunteering opportunities, which have previously included global events such as the Olympics, World Athletics Championships and Commonwealth Games
Studying a degree at Leeds Beckett puts you in very good company – we have alumni in more than 140 countries around the world.
everything you need to know
Qualification: Bachelor degree
Grade: 2.5 GPA for 2:2 equivalent
English language requirements (one of the below):
- IELTS 6.0 with no skill below 5.5
- All India Senior School Certificate (CBSE) – English Grade 70%
- Indian School Certificate (Class-XII) (CISCE) – English Grade 70%
fees and funding
The tuition fee for the year for international students entering in 2021/22 is £14,000.
We are pleased to offer students from India a £3,000 postgraduate scholarship. In addition, the Dean of the Carnegie School of Sport is pleased to offer exclusive scholarships of £1,000 to students from India wishing to study the MSc Psychology of Sport and Exercise programme.
This means the final cost of your course will be £10,000 for one year of study.
TEACHING & LEARNING
Independent study is a crucial part of learning at university and you will be required to undertake many hours of self-directed research and reading, and preparation and writing of assessments. Your course is delivered through a number of modules, which will help you to plan your time and establish a study routine. Outside of your lectures, workshops and tutorials, a range of support is available to assist with your independent study. Our subject-specific librarians will be on hand to direct you to the specialist learning and study-skill resources. You’ll also be assigned an academic advisor to give you tailored feedback and support.
Our silver status in the latest Teaching Excellence Framework, reflects our commitment to deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for our students.
- Contemporary issues in sport psychology
- Psychology of exercise and health
- Professional practice in sport and exercise psychology
- Learning and development in sport and exercise
- Research methods
- Major Independent Study