MSc Sport and Exercise Science
Upgrade your knowledge of physiology, nutrition and biomechanics while gaining experience through research and a sports science internship.
Interest in sport and exercise in the UK has increased significantly, and those working in the industry require a diverse set of skills. This course will enable you to apply science and medicine to help athletes recover from injury and reach their physical peak and also aid the general population in maintaining healthy lifestyles.
You will gain practical expertise that will allow you to assess, treat and support individuals from a variety of sporting disciplines. By understanding the process of an injury audit to identify risk factors, you will learn how to implement an evidence-based treatment plan that minimises the chance of reinjury.
You will develop a comprehensive knowledge of pathophysiology, biomechanics and sports-specific clinical reasoning, allowing you to accurately evaluate and treat injuries. You will study rehabilitation strategies and return-to-play assessments, and you will explore the emergent field of prehabilitation, which aims to prevent injuries before they occur.
As a student on this course, you will join a research-led academic community in the subject area of therapeutic and rehabilitation sciences.
You'll gain practical skills that you can apply straight away, whether you work or volunteer in sports, or are looking for your first job in the field. Our Sports Volunteer Programme has excellent links with professional sporting clubs and fitness initiatives, and you'll have the chance to maximise your learning by taking up additional experience opportunities offered through this.
You'll be taught by staff who are practising sports and exercise therapists with a huge amount of expertise and professional links.
As a student on this course, you will join a research-led academic community in the subject area of rehabilitation sciences.
Why study Sport and exercise science at Leeds Beckett University
- Boost your employment prospects on a course designed to meet professional standards set by the British Association of Sport & Exercise Sciences
- Work alongside experienced lecturers and elite athletes to gain a comprehensive understanding of the field
- You will be among the first students to take advantage of the university’s new state-of-the-art Carnegie School of Sport building
- Take advantage of our sport volunteering opportunities, which have previously included global events such as the Olympics, World Athletics Championships and Commonwealth Games
Studying a degree at Leeds Beckett puts you in very good company – we have alumni in more than 140 countries around the world.
everything you need to know
Qualification: Bachelor degree
Grade: 2.5 GPA for 2:2 equivalent
English language requirements (one of the below):
- IELTS 6.0 with no skill below 5.5
- All India Senior School Certificate (CBSE) – English Grade 70%
- Indian School Certificate (Class-XII) (CISCE) – English Grade 70%
fees and funding
The tuition fee for the year for international students entering in 2021/22 is £14,000.
We are pleased to offer students from India a £3,000 postgraduate scholarship. In addition, the Dean of the Carnegie School of Sport is pleased to offer exclusive scholarships of £1,000 to students from India wishing to study the MSc Sport and Exercise Science programme.
This means the final cost of your course will be £10,000 for one year of study.
TEACHING & LEARNING
Independent study is a crucial part of learning at university and you will be required to undertake many hours of self-directed research and reading, and preparation and writing of assessments. Your course is delivered through a number of modules, which will help you to plan your time and establish a study routine. Outside of your lectures, workshops and tutorials, a range of support is available to assist with your independent study. Our subject-specific librarians will be on hand to direct you to the specialist learning and study-skill resources. You’ll also be assigned an academic advisor to give you tailored feedback and support.
Our silver status in the latest Teaching Excellence Framework, reflects our commitment to deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for our students.
- Research process
- Professional practice (course aligned)
- Major Independent Study
You must also select two modules from the core disciplines listed below:
- Measurement techniques in biomechanics (biomechanics)
- Biomechanics of human gait (biomechanics)
- Evidence based practice in sport physiology (physiology)
- Mechanisms of adaptation to exercise training (physiology)
- Contemporary issues in sport psychology (psychology)
- Psychology of exercise and health (psychology)
- Sport and exercise nutrition (nutrition)
- Ergogenic practices and nutritional manipulation in sport and exercise nutrition (nutrition)
- Measurement in physical activity and health
- Physiology of sports conditioning
- Epidemiology of physical activity and health