MSc Sports Events Management
Drawing on academic and industry expertise from around the world, this course is designed to meet the requirements of professionals and organisations involved in the bidding process and delivery of sporting events of all sizes - from the Olympic Games to the Leeds Half Marathon.
You will address the challenges facing sports events managers, including the increasing pressure to meet the demands of global governing bodies and how to manage a volunteer workforce, secure appropriate sponsorship packages, reduce risk and ensure the health, safety and security of every stakeholder.
By developing the specialist knowledge and skills required, you will be able to strategically plan and manage sporting events to the satisfaction of regional, national and international stakeholders.
This course is taught at The UK Centre for Events Management which has a global reputation as a market leader in events management education. We have close links with a wide range of industry partners and associations who all recognise our expertise in educating the events professionals of the future.
The university has been given a five-star rating for our academic work in Hospitality & Leisure Management by QS, the international higher education benchmarking agency.
Research Excellence Framework 2014
Research Excellence Framework 2014: 59% of our research submitted was assessed as world leading or internationally excellent.
The UK Centre for Events Management has been educating event professionals for more than 21 years. Our specialist team draws together academics and events professionals who have designed and developed cutting-edge courses that are informed by industry and research.
Our staff are engaged in research and consultancy work, publishing their findings in textbooks and journals of international standing.
Why study Sports events Management at Leeds Beckett University
- The UKCEM Network - Become an active member of our thriving community of events practitioners – the UK Centre for Events Management (UKCEM) Network. Based at Leeds Beckett University, this network’s been delivering events management education for almost 25 years
- A global reputation - The School of Events, Tourism & Hospitality Management was ranked in the top 50 best schools globally in 2020 by the Academic Ranking of World Universities
- Expert practitioners - Our specialist teaching team includes research-active academics and industry professionals who work as consultants to the course
- Sandwich year - Deepen your skills and experience, build your confidence, contacts, and CV, and improve your chances of jumping straight into a job after graduation with a paid sandwich year
- Networking - Develop professionals contacts when visiting speakers come to offer unique industry insights during guest lectures
- Support - Not only will we support your throughout your course, you can continue to access careers support up to five years after graduating
Studying a degree at Leeds Beckett puts you in very good company – we have alumni in more than 140 countries around the world.
everything you need to know
Qualification: Bachelor degree
Grade: 2.5 GPA for 2:2 equivalent
English language requirements (one of the below):
- IELTS 6.0 with no skill below 5.5
- All India Senior School Certificate (CBSE) – English Grade 70%
- Indian School Certificate (Class-XII) (CISCE) – English Grade 70%
fees and funding
The tuition fee for the year for international students entering in 2021/22 is £14,000.
We are pleased to offer students from India a £3,000 postgraduate scholarship. In addition, the Dean of the School of Events, Tourism & Hospitality is pleased to offer exclusive scholarships of £1,000 to students from India wishing to study the MSc Sport Event Management programme.
This means the final cost of your course will be £10,000 for one year of study.
TEACHING & LEARNING
Independent study is a crucial part of learning at university and you will be required to undertake many hours of self-directed research and reading, and preparation and writing of assessments. Your course is delivered through a number of modules, which will help you to plan your time and establish a study routine. Outside of your lectures, workshops and tutorials, a range of support is available to assist with your independent study. Our subject-specific librarians will be on hand to direct you to the specialist learning and study-skill resources. You’ll also be assigned an academic advisor to give you tailored feedback and support.
Our silver status in the latest Teaching Excellence Framework, reflects our commitment to deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for our students.
- Sport events: impacts, issues and policy
- Event operations and event risk management
- Strategic and financial management for events organisations
- Sponsorship and marketing for sports events
- HRM and leadership in events
- Research methods and event evaluation
- Professional practice
- Masters research project