BA (Hons) journalism
Report on world-changing events as they unfold on TV, radio, print or online with a career in journalism.
This professionally accredited course will develop the skills you’ll need for a rewarding career in this dynamic, growing sector.
As part of this course, you’ll:
- Gain newsgathering skills and experience in modern journalism
- Understand the practice and principles of contemporary journalism including fairness and accuracy
- Create multimedia news content for print, digital and broadcast platforms
- Have access to purpose-built facilities including computer suites, TV and radio studios, and a dedicated newsroom
Gaining experience will be an important part of your course. Placement opportunities will give you the chance to encounter real-life journalism. We have links that can help you find work in organisations such as the BBC, Sky Sports and with a variety of local and national media companies. Our students have completed placements with The Independent, The One Show, local radio and newspapers.
You will have access to the guest lecture programme. Past speakers include the CEO of the London Stock Exchange, Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury, past Chair and President of the Academy of Marketing, Chief Executive of the British Bankers Association, the Chief Economist of Yorkshire Bank and the Editor of Cosmopolitan. To view and register for any upcoming guest lectures, visit our university events webpage.
Why study journalism at Leeds Beckett University
- This course is accredited by the Professional Publishers Association, equipping you with the theoretical and practical skills to hit the ground after graduating
- Study and work in a city with a fast-rising reputation as a media hub
- Use our facilities to create multimedia news content for print, digital and broadcast platforms by combining the best of the past with an eye on the future
- Open the doors to working in a practical environment at the BBC, Sky Sports and a variety of local and national media companies
- Take in unique insights from leaders from across the business world in Leeds Business School's guest lecture series. Past speakers include the CEO of the London Stock Exchange, Chief Executive of the British Bankers Association and the Editor of Cosmopolitan
Studying a degree at Leeds Beckett puts you in very good company – we have alumni in more than 140 countries around the world.
everything you need to know
Qualification: Undergraduate Diploma or College of Technology Diploma or Higher Technical Institute Diploma or Junior Health College Diploma
Grade: 2.60/4.00 GPA
Qualification: Associate Degree or TVTC programme
Grade: below 60% / GPA 2.75/4 or 3.5/5
English language requirements: IELTS 6.0 with no skill below 5.5
FEES AND FUNDING
The tuition fee for the year for international students entering in 2021/22 is £13,000.
We are pleased to offer students from Saudi Arabia a £1,000 per year undergraduate scholarship.
This means the final cost of your course will be £12,000 per year of study (a typical undergraduate course lasts 3 years).