ba (hons) media communication cultures
You’ll build your CV as you work alongside practising media professionals to create the future of communications across multiple platforms in state-of-the-art learning spaces.
Engage with all forms of mass communication – the internet, social media, television, radio, popular music and cinema – on this dynamic course that critically explores cultural trends and media industries.
As part of your course you’ll:
- Get hands-on to create photographic essays, blogs and podcasts
- Design a talk programme for a radio station
- Invent and pitch a lifestyle TV concept
- Design and create an online game and form an anti-racism campaign group
- Work with professionals from social media, marketing, TV and magazine production
- Graduate with a recognised degree and employable skills across all current and potential future media platforms
You’ll open your mind to exciting new opportunities, allowing you to confidently pursue a career in almost any field, including:
The Northern heart of culture and the arts
You’ll be given unique opportunities to work directly with the museums, art galleries, theatres, film production companies and recording studios that surround the city centre campus. You can also get involved in many regional events, including the Ilkley Literature Festival and the Leeds West Indian Carnival.
Take advantage of the special relationships we’ve developed with employers and cultural industries throughout the city and across the region. Students have completed placements in the editorial team at Hallmark Studios and with Peepal Tree Press – an internationally-renowned publisher based in the city.
You’ll have the chance to attend regular conferences, seminars and events organised by our Centre for Culture and the Arts, to collaborate with institutes and cultural organisations.
Why study media communications culture at Leeds Beckett University
- Leeds Beckett University placed top 50 in the UK in Communication & Media Studies (The Higher Education, 2021)
- Leeds Beckett University placed top 25 in the UK for Media & Film Studies (The Guardian, 2021)
- Bespoke employability events
- Expert careers service
- Extracurricular trips
- Applied Humanities practical module option
- Guest lectures delivered by industry professionals
- Professionally experienced expert teaching team
- Strong and meaningful partnerships with community organisation
Studying a degree at Leeds Beckett puts you in very good company – we have alumni in more than 140 countries around the world.
everything you need to know
Qualification: Undergraduate Diploma or College of Technology Diploma or Higher Technical Institute Diploma or Junior Health College Diploma
Grade: 2.60/4.00 GPA
Qualification: Associate Degree or TVTC programme
Grade: below 60% / GPA 2.75/4 or 3.5/5
English language requirements: IELTS 6.0 with no skill below 5.5
FEES AND FUNDING
The tuition fee for the year for international students entering in 2021/22 is £13,000.
We are pleased to offer students from Saudi Arabia a £1,000 per year undergraduate scholarship.
This means the final cost of your course will be £12,000 per year of study (a typical undergraduate course lasts 3 years).