BA (Hons) international tourism management
Study the forces that effect the tourism industry, from sustainable travel to destination management.
Tourism is constantly expanding to cater for the needs of the traveller and their desire to go further, more frequently and sustainably. This dynamic international tourism management course will keep you up to date with emerging trends and global issues, providing you with the experience and skills required to enter the industry at a professional level.
As part of your course, you’ll:
- Gain an appreciation of other cultures and be aware and sensitive to the positive and negative impacts of tourism on communities and local economic development
- Look at the modern challenges faced by tourism organisations, focusing on recent trends and developments so you’re equipped with the skills to solve complex problems and implement plans and solutions to resolve them
- Acquire an understanding of sustainable tourism and development as well as the organisational structure and management of this ever-expanding service sector
- Develop an entrepreneurial approach by working alongside key industry partners to build innovative solutions to real-life business challenges
- Gain an insight into moral, ethical, environmental and legal issues allowing you to make a valuable contribution to the tourism and travel sector
- Have the opportunity to specialise in key areas such as marketing and human resources and learn from world-leading experts in responsible tourism
Combined with a strong international focus, you’ll understand the core areas of business and management of the tourism sector with the ability to contribute at a regional, national and global level.
You’ll have the opportunity of working in teams as a consultant for a luxury online tour operator, where you’ll develop new and exciting holidays and present them in a Dragon's Den style presentation. If the tour operator likes the ideas, you may get the chance to see it launched into the market.
Through our extensive industry contacts some of our students have worked for Jet 2 or in The Gambia on sustainable tourism and development projects.
Regular lectures from leading industry speakers, such as the Institute of Travel & Tourism (ITT), will keep you up to speed with current hot topics and developments within this exciting industry. Previous placement students have also worked for major attractions and international tour operators including Disney World and TUI.
With our flexible study options, you can specialise in a specific area leading to your career of choice. This could be sustainable tourism for less developed countries, destination management, marketing and promotion, tourist attractions management or other special interest areas.
UK Centre of Excellence
We were the first UK University to be recognised as a Centre of Excellence for Tourism. Awarded by the leading professional body, the ITT, this recognition puts us at the forefront of education and research in this dynamic sector.
ITT is the only professional membership body for the UK travel and tourism industry. It allows you to raise your profile, take advantage of networking opportunities with key players in the sector and to enhance your CV and future career prospects
Our local and international field trips will take learning outside of the classroom so you can experience tourism first-hand.
Our specialist teaching team includes research-active academics and industry professionals who work as consultants to the course – expertise which will help to shape your learning.
Guest lecturers working in the industry will provide you with insight into today's events environment and business strategy.
If you have studied for an HND or foundation degree, we also offer this course as a top-up. If you select this option, you’ll study the year three modules listed below.
Why study international tourism Management at Leeds Beckett University
- The School of Events, Tourism & Hospitality Management was ranked in the top 50 best schools globally in 2020 by the Academic Ranking of World Universities
- Our specialist teaching team includes research-active academics and industry professionals
- You’ll work with a diverse mix of students to share ideas and best practice
- Develop professional contacts when visiting speakers come to offer unique industry insights during guest lectures
- Deepen your skills and experience, build your confidence, contacts, and CV, and improve your chances of jumping straight into a job after graduation with a paid sandwich year
- We'll help find the placement that’s right for you. You'll also continue to receive careers advice for five years after graduation
Studying a degree at Leeds Beckett puts you in very good company – we have alumni in more than 140 countries around the world.
everything you need to know
Qualification: Undergraduate Diploma or College of Technology Diploma or Higher Technical Institute Diploma or Junior Health College Diploma
Grade: 2.60/4.00 GPA
Qualification: Associate Degree or TVTC programme
Grade: below 60% / GPA 2.75/4 or 3.5/5
English language requirements: IELTS 6.0 with no skill below 5.5
FEES AND FUNDING
The tuition fee for the year for international students entering in 2021/22 is £13,000.
We are pleased to offer students from Saudi Arabia a £1,000 per year undergraduate scholarship.
This means the final cost of your course will be £12,000 per year of study (a typical undergraduate course lasts 3 years).