BSc (Hons) Hospitality Business Management
Become a leader and manager transforming hospitality organisations of the future with the help of our expert tutors.
Our philosophy is to inspire future hospitality leaders to transform practice, think critically and have the confidence to implement your ideas. We will help you to be innovative and forward thinking, to manage complex businesses effectively and to develop these businesses by thinking strategically.
As part of your course, you’ll:
- Develop your project management skills devising, developing and successfully implementing an array of hospitality events guided by industry
- Put theory into practice and see hospitality in action, with visits to local industry
- Work on live projects, such as devising social media communication plans for restaurateurs, designing and developing an exceptional guest welcome or creating a strategy for hoteliers and bars based on data and market insights on the latest trends in the sector
There is an opportunity to negotiate your own assessments, tailor the course to your own interests and goals, and undertake on-going training throughout your course in specific industry interests and qualifications.
If you choose to study our sandwich option – a year of paid employment in industry – you’ll spend your third year working in the hospitality industry, gaining the practical skills you need to be a successful leader in the sector. Our placement students have worked at companies both at home and abroad including the Radisson Blu here in Leeds and La Gorce Country Club in Miami.
Using Leeds as a case study, you’ll experience the full range of hospitality offerings including restaurants, hotels, coffee shops, pubs and more. We can help you find vacancies or opportunities or pursue any of your special interests for your work placement during your third year.
This course is accredited by the Institute of Hospitality. Speaking about the accreditation, Dr Peter Robinson, Head of the Centre for Tourism & Hospitality Management, said: "We are delighted to have our courses accredited by the Institute of Hospitality. This recognition reflects our commitment to inspiring and educating the future leaders in the hospitality sector. Working with the Institute, we will instil a desire for lifelong learning and professionalism for the global community of hospitality, leisure and tourism students and industry practitioners."
Our team are passionate about hospitality, and they will provide you with the knowledge and skills to make effective business decisions. Our specialist teaching team includes research-active academics and industry professionals – expertise which will help to shape your learning.
Regular guest speakers will give you a broad view of the industry and provide networking opportunities.
There are a number of field trips - some will be module related and others are for the purpose of personal or team development skills.
The foundation of this course is based on the view that hospitality is, by definition, international so our graduates have gone on to work all over the world - Canada, Africa, Australia, Hong Kong are just a few of the places they have been successful. If you take a gap year after study, you can utilise your skills in well-paid roles around the world to finance your travels.
If you have studied for an HND or foundation degree, we also offer this course as a top-up. If you select this option, you will study the year three modules listed below.
Why study hospitality business Management at Leeds Beckett University
- The School of Events, Tourism & Hospitality Management was ranked in the top 50 best schools globally in 2020 by the Academic Ranking of World Universities
- Our specialist teaching team includes research-active academics and industry professionals
- You’ll work with a diverse mix of students to share ideas and best practice
- Develop professional contacts when visiting speakers come to offer unique industry insights during guest lectures
- Deepen your skills and experience, build your confidence, contacts, and CV, and improve your chances of jumping straight into a job after graduation with a paid sandwich year
- We'll help find the placement that’s right for you. You'll also continue to receive careers advice for five years after graduation
Studying a degree at Leeds Beckett puts you in very good company – we have alumni in more than 140 countries around the world.
everything you need to know
Qualification: Undergraduate Diploma or College of Technology Diploma or Higher Technical Institute Diploma or Junior Health College Diploma
Grade: 2.60/4.00 GPA
Qualification: Associate Degree or TVTC programme
Grade: below 60% / GPA 2.75/4 or 3.5/5
English language requirements: IELTS 6.0 with no skill below 5.5
FEES AND FUNDING
The tuition fee for the year for international students entering in 2021/22 is £13,000.
We are pleased to offer students from Saudi Arabia a £1,000 per year undergraduate scholarship.
This means the final cost of your course will be £12,000 per year of study (a typical undergraduate course lasts 3 years).