Applications now open!
How to Apply
1) Click on the 'Opportunities' tab, then the red 'Go to InPlace' tab.
2) Click on the person icon (top left corner) to register your interest in international volunteering by ticking the box
3) Update your personal details. Some will already be filled from your student record (if the system doesn't let you update straight away, please refresh the screen and try again within 1 hour)
4) Click on the 'Opportunities' tab from the top menu and select 'International Volunteering'
5) Search through the opportunities list and click on the title of each project to take you through to the application page
6) Download attachments and click 'Submit Application'
7) Click on 'Select files' to upload required documents and, finally, click 'Submit Application' to finalise your application for international volunteering
Please note that to complete the application process you will need to upload a copy of your valid passport.
How volunteers are selected
We try to make the selection process as fair as possible. Selection is based on suitability for the role based on specific skills, whether the individual will be suitable for the trip depending on what is required (e.g. challenging countries/environment), how we feel the individual will fit in with the overall group, and we also take into account the potential for personal development. Once your application has been received, it will be reviewed by the Team Leader and Volunteering Team, and if successful you will be invited to a selection event. This is a 2-3 hours opportunity to learn more about the project, meet key people and other applicants and to take part in a group-based activity. There will also be an informal interview with the team leader.
If your application isn't successful
Unfortunately, we have a maximum number of volunteers that we can send to each charity. If you submit an application form and are not shortlisted, we'll let you know by email. If you are unsuccessful at interview or selection-day stage, we'll phone you to let you know and we'll also keep your details in case another volunteer cancels their place. If you are unsuccessful for one project, you are very welcome to apply for others and in future years.
Who can apply?
- Most current Leeds Beckett Students and recent graduates. Unfortunately students on evening classes are not eligible.
- Leeds Beckett staff who are on a contract. Unfortunately, Job Shop staff are not eligible.
- All students will need to gain permission from their personal tutor to participate and members of staff will need permission from their line manager.
Applying for more than one project
It is possible to apply for more than one project at a time and you will be asked on your form and at interview whether you are applying for any other projects. You will need apply for each trip separately and complete the relevant form. Please remember that different skills and experience will be required for each volunteering opportunity so you will need to tailor your application to the opportunity you are applying for. There is no limit to how many trips you can apply for but for each additional trip you go on priority will be given to first-time volunteers and because places and funding are limited, we cannot provide any help with funding for repeat volunteers.
If you can't decide which trip is best for you please talk to us as soon as possible! It's a difficult situation because you are not guaranteed a place on the trip of your choice and the recruitment for each trip happens at a different time. The best thing is to come to a drop-in session so that you can discuss your options, or, if that's not possible email us.