Chartered Legal Executive Apprenticeship
Leeds Law School is offering the opportunity to qualify as a fellow of CILEx (Chartered Institute of Legal Executives) and become a Legal Executive Lawyer by completing our Chartered Legal Executive Apprenticeship.
The apprenticeship takes two years and is designed for LLB/GDL graduates to undertake whilst working in legal practice and is eligible for funding through the apprenticeship levy. Upon successful completion, as well as qualifying as a fellow of CILEx (the highest level of CILEx membership), apprentices will be awarded a Level 6 Professional Diploma in Legal Executive Practice by the University.
Information for Apprenticeship Students
Applicants must already be in possession of a qualifying law degree (QLD) or the Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL). By the start date of the apprenticeship, the apprentice should already have undertaken the first year of a minimum of three years qualifying employment (as defined by CILEx). GCSE English Language and Mathematics at Grade C (Grade 4) or above or an equivalent qualification.
The apprenticeship is delivered over two years. The teaching element of the apprenticeship takes place during the first year, divided across two 12-week semesters during which apprentices undertake three level 6 modules. Attendance at the University during this time is either on a day/half day release basis, or one class in the late afternoon on one or two days per week. The second year culminates in an end point assessment (EPA). The University sets the EPA and provides supervision and support during the second year in readiness for submission. The EPA is then submitted to CILEx as the EPA assessor.
- Client Care Skills
- Civil Litigation
Study takes place on campus at the university, most likely at City Campus. Supervision meetings will generally be held on campus. There will also be some work place visits during the apprenticeship.
As a student of Leeds Law School, you will be able to access a wide range of law textbooks online for free through Law Trove, a subscription-only service offered by Oxford University Press.
Information for Employers
Our Chartered Legal Executive Apprenticeship enables apprentices to develop the knowledge and professional competencies required by CILEx while mastering the skills, knowledge and behaviours to ensure they are competent to qualify as a Chartered Legal Executive.
Meet the unique needs of your organisation– with apprentices learning at work, they are able to develop the knowledge and occupational competencies demanded by specific job roles, and meet the unique needs of your organisation.
Increase your productivity – apprentices can keep your organisation up to date with the latest techniques and technology, increasing your productivity for the future.
Fill your higher-level skills gaps – higher-level skills are vital to organisation performance and economic growth. Through apprentices you can fill your higher-level skills gaps efficiently and effectively by tailoring the learning.
Develop existing staff – you can develop your existing staff by allowing them to undertake an Apprenticeship or enabling them to work with an apprentice in the workforce, through mentoring opportunities and more.
Every apprenticeship must have an Apprenticeship Agreement. This is a contract of service between the apprentice and the employer, confirming the apprenticeship and the standard being undertaken. This will be supplemented by a ‘Statement of Commitment’ signed by the employer, university and apprentice, setting out the expectations, roles and responsibility of each party involved in the apprenticeship.
- Apprentices must be employed and paid at least a minimum wage appropriate to their age and job role.
- You will be responsible for the recruitment of apprentices. However, we can work with you to promote your opportunities via our website.
- You pay apprentices at their normal rate whilst they are studying.
- Apprentices require a workplace mentor who will oversee their development and coordinate projects and learning with the university tutor. For more information, please visit our Apprenticeship information for employers.
If the annual pay bill of your organisation exceeds £3m you will pay for your apprenticeship training through your levy account. If you are a non-levy paying organisation the government will co-fund your apprenticeship training by contributing 95% of the costs and you will pay the remaining 5% of costs.
For further information please visit www.gov.uk.