Research in Art & Design, Film, Music and Performing Arts at Leeds Beckett University is supported through LARC: the Leeds Arts Research Centre, which is co-directed by Professor Simon Morris & Professor Robert Shail. LARC sponsors a whole range of activities including conferences, symposiums, lectures, sabbaticals and exhibitions, and promotes our research internally and externally via its website:
Our 127 academic staff are acknowledged as making a significant contribution to research internationally which can be demonstrated by the awards they have been shortlisted for and won as well as their outputs this REF cycle which include books/monographs, book chapters, Journal articles, conference contributions, exhibitions, live performances, radio and film broadcasts, residencies, commissions and collaborations with other HE providers and public lectures, including keynote presentations.
Transforming | ART & DESIGN
Our aim for research impact in Art & Design is working with young people in the community on social arts projects, working to highlight and provide solutions for intransigent social problems, designing sustainable materials for the future, and raising awareness of spatial and human rights for refugees and immigrants, displaced through conflict.
Our strengths in the School include performance, feminism, new media and experimental art practice.
Transforming | Film, Music & Performing ArtS
Our School is home to innovative research across the creative arts including film production, cinema culture, music composition, performance and production, dance, and performing arts. A particular strength is our combination of traditional methodologies, published as books and journal articles, with practice as research. Our research is not just something to read but something to watch, listen to and experience, produced by creative staff who excel in both scholarship and professional practice.
Our research areas cover a wide variety of creative art forms from the composition of electroacoustic music, through cutting-edge performance practice, to the history of children's cinema, and the body as archive. At their heart is a commitment to the centrality of the arts to all human activity.
- A state of the art workshop run by highly skilled technicians that can facilitate work in wood, plastic, metal and 3-D laser printing
- A fully resourced printmaking workshop, run by highly skilled learning support officers that can offer screenprinting, relief primnting, etching, book binding and letter press
- A well resourced photographic studio run by highly skilled learning support officers that can offer studio and lighting facilities as well as digital and chemical printing. Specialist equipment can be borrowed for project work in the field
- Five film and television studios
- Ten professional quality recording studios
- State-of-the-art acoustic labs and post-production equipment
- Dedicated rehearsal space for dance, choreography and performing arts
- Over 30 lectures by renowned international experts in various areas of the creative arts can be viewed in full here: leedsbeckett.ac.uk/larc/lecture-series
- A large library of specialist art & design publications and access to databases and online resources
JOIN OUR RESEARCH COMMUNITY
The Graduate School at Leeds Beckett offers a range of options for you to undertake a postgraduate research programme, from Master of Research, through to Master of Philosophy, Professional Doctorates and PhDs.