Research at Leeds Beckett
Dr Razaq Raj
About Dr Razaq Raj
Dr Razaq Raj is Principal Lecturer for Research and Enterprise in Leeds Business School, Economics, Analytics & International Business subject area.
Dr Razaq Raj is an internationally renowned academic with over fifteen years higher education experience of teaching and research in UK, Malta, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Germany, China and South Korea. He is Principal Lecturer for Research and Enterprise and is a Visiting Professor at the Kedge Business School, France and University of Vitez, Bosnia. He has substantial external examining and curriculum development experience of both undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in business management, events and tourism.
He has published work on strategic management, economic and financial impacts, cultural festivals and sustainable tourism and religious tourism. He has both organised international conferences and delivered keynote speeches. He has published in a number of peer reviewed journals and conference proceedings. He has published books on Religious Tourism and Pilgrimage Management: An International Perspective (Cabi), Event Management: An integrated and practical approach (Sage) and Event Management and Sustainability (Cabi). He has recently published text on Cultural Tourism and 2nd edition of Event Management. He has substantial experience of developing international partnerships in Germany and the Middle East and also sits on voluntary sector management boards. He is often sought out by news media for his views on international Terrorism and has been a guest on BBC and Sky News.
- Strategic Financial Management MSc
- Research Methods Level 6
- Multinational Enterprises Level 6
- International Business Level 6
- Entrepreneurship and Business Development Level 6
- Corporate Finance and Law Level 5
- Work Placement Tutor
I am an active researcher with a significant and sustained track record of high quality research publications since 2000. My research publications (2000-2019) in refereed journals, conference papers, editorial reviewerships and peer reviewed journals in my CV (attached). My research publications include local, national and international joint and sole authorship.
He is founding co-editor of the Journal Religious Tourism and Pilgrimage and Series Editor, CABI Religious Tourism & Pilgrimage Book Series (with Dr Kevin Griffin) and on the editorial board of the Journal of Tourism Today, Asian Journal of Development Studies, Revista De Turism (Journal of Tourism) and reviewer on the Annals of Tourism Research, Tourism Management and Sustainable Tourism. His areas of interests are:
- Religious Tourism and Pilgrimage Management
- Islamic Ethics at Work Place
- Islamic Finance
- Events and festivals development and management in the local community
- Sustainable development approaches
- Entrepreneurial Legacies of the Carnivals
- Impacts of festivals on Black and ethnic minority businesses
Journal articles (7)
- Griffin K; Raj R (2013), Not Losing the 'Pilgrimage' in the Pilgrimage Tourism Experience
- Griffin K; Raj R (2013), Not Losing the 'Pilgrimage' in the Pilgrimage Tourism Experience: Introduction
- Raj R (2012), Visitors experience of travel to the City of Heaven (Madinah)
- Raj R; Griffin K (2012), Special Issue on Enhancing the Religious Tourism Experience
- Raj R; Rashid T (2011), Visitors Experiences of Travel to the City of Heaven (Madinah)
- Raj R; Rashid T (2011), Visitors experience of travel to the city of heaven (Madinah)
- Raj R; Vignali C (2010), Creating Local Experiences of Cultural Tourism through Sustainable Festivals