Research at Leeds Beckett
About Gihan Badi
Gihan is a Senior Architectural Designer and Chartered Architectural Technologist with 22 years’ experience in the construction industry and the education sector in both the United Kingdom and the Middle East. Gihan has experience in architectural design and detailing along with extensive computer experience including graphic and CAD software. She worked on projects cover most sectors of commercial architecture which include new build of residential, retail, mixed-use, offices, leisure and hotels projects, also extension of commercial offices, shopping centres, residential and mixed use, and sensitive development and refurbishment works of Grade II listed and conservation areas.
Gihan is actively involved with her professional institute CIAT at local and national levels. She is a Professional Assessor for the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologist and a Judge for both CIAT Annual Awards (The Alan King Award and the Award for Excellence in Architectural Technology) and the Student Awards for Excellence in Architectural Technology. Additionally, Gihan is the Chair of CIAT Yorkshire Committee along with her duties to organise and raise funds for events and CPD seminars for the CIAT members in the Yorkshire region.
Gihan is a Fellow in Higher Education Academy (FHEA) and responsible for delivering the Design Studio tutorial sessions and lectures for Architectural Technology Students at Levels 4. Her responsibilities in the past three years at School of the Built Environment and Engineering covered the following modules:
- Delivering the Design Studio lectures and tutorials for Levels 4, 5 and 6 Architectural Technology students.
- Delivering lectures to Level 6 students in Architectural Practice.
- Delivering the Interdisciplinary Project (IDP) tutorial sessions for Level 5 SoBEE students.
- Delivering Inter-Professional Studies (IDP) tutorial sessions for 6 SoBEE students.
- Delivering Tutorials for Level 4 students in Legal Frameworks and Regulations.
- Supervise dissertation for Building Surveying and Construction Management students.
- External Examiner for second and final year BA Architecture students.
Gihan is currently carrying out her final year PhD research at Leeds Beckett University. Her PhD research topic is about building resilient cities and the main focus is about building resilient communities to natural hazards mainly flooding. She is particularly interested in the resilience of the built environment to natural hazards and disasters and disaster risk management / reduction.
- Badi, G. and Bin Madnor, M. (2018) The Transformation of Disaster Risk Management in Malaysia, the implications and solutions. In: Sustainable Ecological Engineering Design for Society (SEEDS), 2018, September 6-7, 2018, Dublin.
- Badi, G. (2017) Enhancing UK Flood mitigation measures through Local Communities’ Flood Knowledge. In: Sustainable Ecological Engineering Design for Society (SEEDS), 2017, September 13-14, 2017, Leeds. November
- Badi, G. (2017) The Resilience of the Built Environment through Stakeholder Participation in Malaysia. In: UIA 2017 Seoul World Architects Congress, September 3-7, 2017, Seoul, South Korea. World Architects Congress.