Research at Leeds Beckett
About Kevin Thomas
Kevin is from Birmingham, an academic who has also worked in local government regeneration departments in the West Midlands before moving to West Yorkshire.
Kevin Thomas has undertaken a variety of research and consultancy projects for UK government departments, local authorities, enterprise boards, an urban development corporation, and has evaluated EU-funded local economic projects. He has also completed a number of economic sector studies, investigated the regional dimension of economic innovation policy and explored the potential of industrial 'clusters' for local economic development.
Kevin has published widely on metropolitan strategic planning, urban labour markets, urban sustainability/ green infrastructure and European city regions. His teaching specialisms include Masters modules on strategies for cities and regions in Europe, increasingly focusing on economic sustainability, climate resilience and regeneration mechanisms in times of economic retrenchment and income inequality.
- Theoretical Contexts (Masters)
- Strategic & European Contexts (Masters)
- Strategies for European Cities, Neighbourhoods and Communities
Kevin is interested in strategic spatial planning and governance issues, especially those at city region scale. His work on this includes two major EU-funded trans-national projects analysing governance and planning in the urban fringes of North Sea Region cities as well as studies into the value of green infrastructure ideas for urban space planning and the potential of spatial planning for improving health and wellbeing. His most recent research is into the potential for urban local food production, focusing on allotments.
Journal articles (10)
- Thomas K; Littlewood S (2010), From green belts to green infrastructure? The evolution of a new concept in the emerging soft governance of spatial strategies
- Thomas K; Littlewood S (2010), A european programme for skills to deliver sustainable communities: Recent steps towards developing a discourse
- Thomas K (2000), Creating regional cultures of innovation? The regional innovation strategies in England and Scotland
- Thomas K; Roberts P (2000), Metropolitan strategic planning in England: Strategies in transition
- Thomas K (1999), Regional development agencies in Europe
- Thomas K (1999), Evaluating local environmental policy
- Thomas K (1996), Voluntary organizations and the reconfiguration of local governance: The case of training and enterprise councils
- Thomas K (1996), Local government in Eastern Europe: Establishing democracy at grassroots - Coulson,A
- THOMAS K; KIMBERLEY S (1995), REDISCOVERING REGIONAL-PLANNING - PROGRESS ON REGIONAL-PLANNING GUIDANCE IN ENGLAND
- THOMAS K (1994), CHAMBERS-OF-COMMERCE IN BRITAIN AND GERMANY AND THE SINGLE EUROPEAN MARKET - BENNETT,RJ, KREBS,G, ZIMMERMANN,H