Research at Leeds Beckett
Professor Simon Robinson
About Professor Simon Robinson
Simon Robinson developed his academic work in business ethics and pastoral and social theology at Oxford, Heriot Watt, Edinburgh and Leeds Universities.
He now focuses on business and professional ethics, the nature and practice of responsibility, responsibility and pedagogy, governance, and leadership ethics across all sectors. Running throughout this is a concern about the meaning of responsibility, focused in virtues, culture and critical dialogue.
He works with the West Yorkshire Police as independent chair of their internal ethics committee, and has worked with many businesses and professional bodies, including Nestle, the Royal Academy of Engineering and the Institute of Civil Engineering, on the development of ethical codes and culture. Based in this work he offers consultancy across the sectors on developing cultures of responsible practice, moving beyond CSR.
- Business Executive and Good Governance
- Stakeholder Management
- Leadership and Governance
- Business Ethics and Social Responsibility
Research areas include:
- spirituality, ethics
- leadership and management
- critical leadership theory
- philosophy of responsibility (bridging the gap between theory, values and practice)
- Islam and responsibility
- responsibility and Higher Education
- responsibility and pedagogy
- the relationship between moral, intellectual, practical, social, psychological, and political values
Journal articles (5)
- Robinson SJ (2015), Beyond Belief: Redefining Spirituality
- Robinson SJ; Smith J (2012), Exploring Responsibility
- Robinson SJ; Smith J (2012), Exploring responsibility
- Robinson S (2011), Responsibility and Integrity in the Curriculum
- Robinson S (2009), The Nature of Professional Responsibility in a Professional Setting
- Robinson SJ; Smith J (2014) Co-charismatic Leadership: Critical Perspectives on Spirituality Ethics and Leadership. Frontiers in Business Ethics 10. 1st Edition Oxford: Peter Lang.
- Robinson SJ; Dowson (2012) Business Ethics in Practice. Chartered Institute of Personnel & Development.
- Robinson S (2011) Leadership Responsibility. New International Studies in Applied Ethics 3 Oxford: Peter Lang.
- Robinson S; Kenyon A (2009) Ethics in the Alcohol Industry. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Robinson S (2007) Spirituality, Ethics and Care. Jessica Kingsley Pub.
- Parry J; Robinson S; Watson N; Nesti M (2007) Sport and Spirituality: an introduction. Routledge.
- Katulushi C; Robinson SJ (2005) Values in Higher Education. Aureus and University of Leeds.
- Robinson S; Kendrick K; Brown A (2003) Spirituality and the Practice of Health Care. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Megone C (2002) Case Histories in Business Ethics. Psychology Press.
- Robinson SJ (2001) Agape, Moral Meaning and Pastoral Counselling. Aureus Publishing.
- Are we still the good guys?
- How could this have happened?
- Reputation, reputation I ha’ lost my reputation: Beauty contest or integrity?
- Governance under questions following FIFA corruption arrests
- ‘Shared society’ and the ‘business case’
- Follow the leader?
- Governance and Poppies
- What has Business got to do with Politics?
- Politics and business: who is governing whom?
- Leadership and hope - how can leadership inspire hope?