Art, Architecture & Design January Good News
5 February 2018
The latest good news from the School of Art, Architecture & Design.
International Photography Success
Senior Lecturer, Anna Pepe has had her work shown in numerous photography exhibitions and competitions in the past few months, these include:
- “Portraiture: Looking at Photography”, Black Box Gallery’s international juried photography exhibition in Portland, Oregon, United States.
- “Black & White”, an international juried photography exhibition taking place last October 2017 at Blank Wall Gallery in Athens, Greece.
- “The Decisive Moment”, an international juried photography exhibition taking place last November 2017 at Praxis Gallery and Photographic Arts Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States.
- “Field Work: Shadow and Light”, an international juried photography exhibition taking place last November 2017 at Black Box Gallery.
- “In the Zone: Black & White Photography”, an international juried photography exhibition taking place in the Echo Park neighbourhood of Los Angeles, California.
- “Black and White”, a juried photography competition launched in September 2017 by The Motif Collective.
- “5th Zebra Awards 2017”, a juried photography competition launched by TZ International.
Global Interest in Academic’s Work
Research by Dr Kiff Bamford, Reader in the School of Art, Architecture and Design, on the work of Jean-François Lyotard has gained international attention. Kiff has been invited to speak about the philosopher’s work at a symposium hosted by the Centre for Theoretical Inquiry in the Humanities at Indiana University in April 2018. He has also seen the Chinese translation rights to his 2017 publication Jean-Francois Lyotard: Critical Lives picked up by Nanjing University Press, China, which will be published sometime before September 2019.
Fashion Industry Event for Leeds Beckett Students
BA (Hons) Fashion Marketing students were treated to an Industry Event on the last day of the 2017 term, where guest speakers provided career insights and opportunities. The day was packed with inspiring talks delivered by people from across the fashion industry. Speakers included Oliver Jackson from Tokyo Laundry and Anjay Kumar who works for agency Creative Race, both of whom graduated from Leeds Beckett University. Also on the bill were Emma Champion of the brand White Stuff, Claire Burman and Nellie Eden who created the agency Babyface, renowned photographer Ian Simpson and Hannah Eichler, the brand stylist for the fashion brand Oasis.
BA (Hons) Fashion Marketing course director, Dr Caroline Hemingray, said: “Our first Fashion Marketing Industry event was a great success. Our students were able to listen to, and speak to, a fantastic range of speakers from the fashion industry. They were able to gain valuable insight into potential future careers, contextualise their current studies at University, and network one-to-one with our industry experts.”