09:30 – 17:00
Broadcasting Place, City Campus, Leeds Beckett University
Fantastic course, i have enjoyed all elements!Attendee review, 21 November 2019
Learn how to use InDesign to produce eye-catching, high-quality designs for print and the web, creating artwork and creative layouts from scratch and using various production techniques.
This course will introduce you to the page layout and design applications of InDesign.
Starting with InDesign basics, you will build skills and confidence in navigating this application and using its key tools. You will become a proficient user of InDesign, able to create layouts from single pages to complex multi-page documents.
On completion of this course you will be able to:
- Improve your productivity by defining master page styles and use the most effective ways to complete common tasks.
- Implement consistency across your output by working with styles and implementing formatting techniques.
- Add finesse to your documents with colour, transparency and effects.
- Increase effectiveness by using best-practice techniques for outputting to print, web and mobile devices.
Designers who want to create eye-catching page designs suitable for both print and the web, learning from an experienced practitioner and Adobe authorised trainer.
We expect delegates to be familiar with operating systems; able to navigate for files, and proficient using a keyboard and mouse.
(The price is inclusive and as an education provider we do not charge VAT.)
**** Please note our courses close 7 days prior to the start date ****
We offer a 10% discount to Leeds and Bradford Chamber of Commerce members. To claim your discount please call 0113 812 1725 and quote your Chamber membership number.
To keep you posted we will post upcoming additional dates for this course here. If you would like to enquire about future dates, please feel free to contact us.
We can design our courses to meet your specific business objectives, developing a tailored plan to deliver the results you're looking for.
The opening module aims to build confidence in navigating and modifying the workspace and will include browsing, opening and viewing documents and defining preferences.
- Open an InDesign document.
- Use navigation tools to view different pages, magnify artwork and view pages at a suitable size on-screen.
- Show and hide grids and guides, use present modes to review an active InDesign document.
- Define references and colour settings.
- Become familiar with where to find InDesign’s Tools and panels for editing.
Learn how to manage and define objects and their characteristics, be it text frames or graphic frames. Create libraries of content so that you can repurpose them and save valuable time.
- Select one or more frames to make them active for edits
- Replace images and colours of selected frames.
- Change the size of an image frame
- Add an effect to a frame
- Edit the opacity and transparency of a frame.
- Select characters, words and paragraphs with the Type tool.
- Create a paragraph style from existing text.
- Apply globally controlled text styles.
- Modify column numbers in a text frame.
- Apply text wrap to an image that text will flow around.
- Edit a page template design on a master page.
Starting as simple as possible, you will create a single page layout adding images, text, and logos within a simple grid structure.
- Create a single page document with appropriate settings for print and screen.
- Define a simple grid structure to align your text and images to.
- Import one or more images and define their size on the page.
- Import text from Microsoft Word and format the type.
- Create a branded colour and use it in your design.
- Align and distribute page items.
- Check image quality.
- Create a PDF of your completed page for use in print and screen.
Focusing on defining, creating and modifying document attributes, this module looks at the initial stages of developing InDesign files, using preset file types for quick set-up and building a document structure with layers, guides and a baseline grid.
- Create a new multi-page document.
- Create a grid of columns and rows organised in a simple layer structure
- Automate features such as page numbering.
- Create a library of assets that can be shared with colleagues.
- Import large text files and thread the content through multiple text frames.
- Create paragraph styles, character styles, object styles to globally edit the look of your artwork and text.
- Create a bulleted and numbered list.
- Create shapes, lines and colours based on RGB and CMYK references.
- Create harmonious colour themes sampled from a photo that can be added to your text and shapes.
- Scale, rotate and reposition frames.
Once you have completed your design treatment, you will often need to perform simple tasks such as spelling and grammar checks, but you can also search for images below a specific quality threshold or missing text with Preflight.
- Spell check, auto-correct and dynamic spelling.
- Create an automated preflight check of your document to detect any issues.
- Export to PDFX-1a for professional print output.
- Publish an online document.
What will I learn?
You will learn how to:
- Navigate and adapt the user interface to suit your needs.
- Set up and organise document grids, guides and baselines.
- Import and format type and artwork.
- Use reviewing and proofing tools to output accurate results.
- Define master page styles, numbering and chapter techniques that will significantly improve your productivity.
- Work with styles and formatting techniques to implement consistency throughout your products.
- Use colour, transparency and effects.
- Output to print, web and mobile devices.
Attending the course
We are open from 09:00.
Refreshments will be available and a lunch voucher will be provided for use at any Leeds Beckett food outlet.
All the materials you will need will be provided.
We’re based in the centre of Leeds at Cloth Hall Court, and we have cutting-edge facilities including the Development Studio for desktop, web and mobile platforms. The studio draws on academics with extensive high-level industrial experience in advanced programming techniques and world-class creative digital content essential to success in the creative digital industries.
Trainer & Reviews
Gary Bradley is an Adobe Certified Instructor and an award-winning graphic designer with over 17 years' commercial experience working as a designer and Creative Director in digital print, animation, CGI and illustration.
Gary has led global projects in creative multimedia technology, art direction and management for prestigious brands such as Virgin Atlantic, British Airways, Nike, and Sainsbury's. His courses are designed to nurture and enhance your talent. He will take the knowledge that you have got and help you become more adept, more effective and more productive. He will share with you proven best practice techniques and little-known short cuts that can and will save you hours - all delivered in a style and language that you can relate to.
The course was great but Garry made it! His explanations and in-depth knowledge is fantastic.Attendee review, 21 November 2019
Excellent course - i learnt so much in two days and feel confident to start designing at work. Gary was a brilliant trainer, thank you for all your help!Attendee review, 21 November 2019
Excellent course - well presented, good pace and good balance between doing and watching.Attendee review, 21 November 2019
Gary was absolutely amazing! As someone who has never seen InDesign I have left the course feeling confident and excited to use the software - Thank you!Attendee review, 27 June 2019
Gary was an excellent tutor and the course materials are exceptional. I would happily recommend Gary to anyone looking at courses for Adobe.Attendee review, 13 February 2019
Everything exceeded expectations, from the food to the class size to the tutor. It was all spot on!Attendee review, 13 February 2019
Gary was brilliant! Very helpful, charismatic and engaging! 10 out of 10!Attendee review, 13 February 2019
Gary was absolutely fantastic, knowledgeable, helpful and approachable. Really enjoyed his learning style. Feel well on my way to creating my own documents.Attendee review, 23 January 2019
The facility was amazing! Gary was excellent and passionate! The rest of the staff were so friendly! Great 2-day course!Attendee review, 23 January 2019
Really enjoyed the course - great tutor. Thank you!Attendee review, 5 December 2018
The course material was an excellent resource, easy to follow and detailed. Gary was very knowledgeable and clearly explained each activity.Attendee review, 5 December 2018
Great course, great tutor. Learned a lot. Absolutely worthwhile!Attendee review, 31 October 2018
Gary was absolutely superb - very patient, an excellent communicator and very knowledgeable!Attendee review, 31 October 2018
Excellent course & tutor. Really enjoyed the two days.Attendee review, 20 September 2018
A lot of money but absolutely worth it! Very highly recommend both the course and tutor.Attendee review, 20 September 2018
Great course (both this and Photoshop Introduction) Looking forward to practicing! Thank you!Attendee review, 6 July 2018
Fantastic - would most definitely recommend.Attendee review, 6 July 2018
Genuinely one of the best, most engaging, well put together training sessions I've been on. I will try to convince my manager to let me back to do the advanced course. Thanks!Attendee review, 6 July 2018
The course was great, Gary helped everyone when they needed it. The course was broken down well into manageable chunks. Great course, will recommend.Attendee review, 14 June 2018
Really good course, i learnt a lot and everything was explained very clearly.Attendee review, 14 June 2018
Great venue and facilities. Great tutor. Gary was so so helpful. Emmeline was fantastic too, friendly and welcoming. Would highly recommend this course and the uni.Jamie Mcghee, 14 June 2018
Easy to book on course, fab location, great facilities, friendly staff and very experienced tutor, great training! Thank you!Kristina Horner, 25 April 2018
Gary is a great teacher and very patient with people. He clearly loves design and helping others.Attendee review, 25 April 2018
Fantastic tutor! Very professional & helpful and experienced too!Attendee review, 13 March 2018
Very useful course and would recommend to anyone. Very good tutor.Luke Parry, 13 March 2018
Again, Gary is a fantastic tutor. Thank you very much!!Attendee review, 13 March 2018
Really impressed with everything. Staff i encountered only briefly remembered my name and were super helpful. Lovely food, really nice facilities and fantastic tutor who was really knowledgeable and prepared.Attendee review, 1 February 2018
Gary was a great tutor, approachable, helpful, nothing was too much trouble. The facilities were fantastic and a great location!Sarah Hobson, 23 November 2017
Very helpful course with good tutor who made it enjoyable to learn.Attendee review, 23 November 2017
Gary was a fantastic tutor - very patient and good at explaining complicated aspects clearly - will recommend the course to others.Attendee review , 23 November 2017
Gary is a very good teacher and the document he provided was fantastic. I would look to book another course with him in the future.Attendee review, 27 September 2017
Wonderful, learnt alot and great learning environment.Attendee review, 27 September 2017
Gary did a great job delivering an engaging training event with highly informative and interactive content. I would have no hesitation in recommending the course to others.Darren O'Meara, 22 June 2017
Really great session, informative and really friendly tutor. I'm sure i'll make use of everything i've learnt very soon!Attendee review, 22 June 2017
Really useful and excellent handbook to take away. Thanks!Attendee review, 22 June 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed the course and the trainer was calm, thoughtful and helpful.Attendee review, 22 June 2017
Excellent tutor - very approachable & Knowledgeable!Jo Francis, 22 June 2017
Gary is highly knowledgeable & is passionate about the software.Attendee Review, 7 April 2017
Gary is a fantastic tutor who can explain the whole process really well. Highly recommend.Attendee review, 7 April 2017
As a novice there was a lot to learn but Gary was very helpful and very knowledgeable + patient.Attendee review, 8 March 2017
Excellent course, Gary made everything seem accessible and simple.Attendee review, 11 January 2017
Thank you Gary for an excellent couple of days.Attendee review, 11 January 2017
Great tutor and facilities.Attendee review, 11 January 2017
Gary was fab. So knowledgeable & helpful. Very supportive learning environment.Aneliese Bennett , 20 October 2016
This was excellent, one of the best courses, everything was made with easy to follow steps and the tutor and course work were to the best possible standards.Attendee review, 20th October 2016
Brilliant and came well recommended, thank you.Emily Bell, 18 August 2016
Really useful - highly recommend to anyone! Great style & pace of training.Attendee review, 28 April 2016
Gary was fantastic, very knowledgeable & helpful. Would recommend this training to anyone!Attendee review, 28 April 2016
Overall great. Very useful & up to date technologyAttendee review, 24 February 2016
Very good tutor. Supplied everything & made each step easy to followAttendee review, 24 February 2016
Really useful course - will be recommendingKaren Angell, 2 December 2015