09:30 – 17:00
Broadcasting Place, City Campus, Leeds Beckett University
I like the structure of the course. Very small blocks of learning made it easy to follow the teaching.Attendee review, 15 November 2018
Adobe Photoshop is the industry-standard and professionals’ choice for image editing, graphic design, photographic retouching, web development, multimedia, post-production, animation and more.
You will learn how to use Photoshop to create eye-catching designs and images for print and the web. You will also learn editing techniques to improve your digital photos and you will be able to save time by mastering handy shortcuts to improve workflow and easily format and save pictures for web, PDF and other applications.
On completion of this course you will be able to:
- Save time by becoming a proficient user of this professional image editing software.
- Focus on tasks that add value to your creativity, projects and job satisfaction.
- Speed up workflow and deliver projects faster by using the most effective techniques and tools.
- Learn best-practice approaches from a practising graphic designer with more than 20 years’ experience and avoid time consuming, costly mistakes.
This course is for anyone who wants to create eye-catching designs and images for print and multimedia using Adobe Photoshop.
We expect delegates to be familiar with operating systems; able to navigate for files, and proficient using a keyboard and mouse.
(The price is inclusive and as an education provider we do not charge VAT.)
**** Please note our courses close 7 days prior to the start date ****
We offer a 10% discount to Leeds and Bradford Chamber of Commerce members. To claim your discount please call 0113 812 1725 and quote your Chamber membership number.
To keep you posted we will post upcoming additional dates for this course here. If you would like to enquire about future dates, please feel free to contact us.
We can design our courses to meet your specific business objectives, developing a tailored plan to deliver the results you're looking for.
To make the best use of its extensive editing capabilities, you must first learn to navigate the work area and how to adapt it to your own workflow. Open and view multiple files and navigate by magnification and panning.
- Open an image file.
- Use navigation tools to view different details, magnify artwork and view a canvas at a suitable size on-screen.
- Define references and colour settings.
- Become familiar with where to find Photoshop’s Tools and panels for editing.
Learn how to open a supplied image, identify the natural maximum size it can be used in print and screen before editing. Trim and remove unwanted content in an image and make basic edits to the brightness and colours.
- Inspect the resolution of an image.
- Straighten a crooked image.
- Trim and crop image edges and frame a subject in a rule of thirds.
- Extend an image without distorting or stretching important details.
- Replace or remove unwanted content in an image seamlessly.
- Edit the brightness, contrast and colour intensity of a photo.
- Alter specific colours in a photo.
- Isolate the subject in colour and convert the remaining image black and white
- Recolour internals such as walls.
- Make selections of the content you wish to edit with a range of tools.
- Edit a multi-layered image file, alter the position, arrangement and alignment of key content such as text and logos.
- Sample colour from a photo.
Create your first image project by creating a multi-page template file that will allow you to easily copy content and re-purpose for different social media platforms.
- Create a new image intended for web and screen output.
- Define the width and height of an artboard.
- Add artwork to the document.
- Add text and logos to the template.
- Duplicate the template and resize for use on platforms such as Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
- Export your final designs.
Learning how to select areas of an image is of paramount importance - you must first select what you want to affect and leave your images intact by revealing and concealing rather than deleting with masks.
- Learn how to arrange compositions with layers.
- Explore important data on channels, pixels and vector graphics.
- Review supplied images in Adobe Bridge.
- Create a collection of images for a new project.
- Stitch together multiple images to create a panorama.
- Use the Clone Stamp and Spot Healing Brush tools to remove unwanted content.
- Work with the History panel and ‘undo’ in a brush tip.
It can be almost impossible under certain circumstances to photograph a person or product against the desired background. This is when you merge the two parts together from separate images to create a montage.
- Cut-out backgrounds with a layer mask.
- Remove blemishes on a portrait.
- Create a new destination canvas to combine your image assets into.
- Merge the subject and the new background to build an image montage.
Once you have removed blemishes, edited colours and brightness, you will no doubt often need to tun to specialised filters built into Photoshop to make the final touches.
- Morph and distort content in a more organic and natural way with Puppet Warp.
- Morph faces to add a subtle smile or change of expression.
- Place a logo into a new perspective.
- Add artistic effects to your artwork such as watercolour and pencil sketches.
- Layer styles and effects like drop shadows and glows.
Preview your artwork for output to screen devices, web and print while striking the appropriate balance between file size and image quality every time.
- Save to an appropriate file format for print.
- Export to JPG and PNG for screen and web.
What will I learn?
You will learn:
- How to evaluate and output high-quality artwork for print, web and mobile devices.
- Digital image characteristics and how they are constructed.
- How to explore and navigate the application interface, and tailor its appearance to suit your needs.
- How to manage and save files to the appropriate size and format by exploring different output scenarios.
- How to work with layers to maximise your workflow efficiency.
- How to select regions of artwork to apply local edits.
- How to blend artwork and create montages.
- How to apply filters and effects to add creative flair and finesse to your artwork.
- How to manage and characterise typography.
- How to create simple vector objects.
- How to remove blemishes and defects in photographs.
- How to correct colour and exposure in artwork.
Attending the course
We are open from 09:00.
Refreshments will be available and a lunch voucher will be provided for use at any Leeds Beckett food outlet.
All the materials you will need will be provided.
We’re based in the centre of Leeds at Cloth Hall Court, and we have cutting-edge facilities including the Development Studio for desktop, web and mobile platforms. The studio draws on academics with extensive high-level industrial experience in advanced programming techniques and world-class creative digital content essential to success in the creative digital industries.
Trainer & Reviews
Gary Bradley is an Adobe Certified Instructor and an award-winning graphic designer with over 17 years' commercial experience working as a designer and Creative Director in digital print, animation, CGI and illustration.
Gary has led global projects in creative multimedia technology, art direction and management for prestigious brands such as Virgin Atlantic, British Airways, Nike, and Sainsbury's. His courses are designed to nurture and enhance your talent. He will take the knowledge that you have got and help you become more adept, more effective and more productive. He will share with you proven best practice techniques and little-known short cuts that can and will save you hours - all delivered in a style and language that you can relate to.
I am a complete beginner and although others in my group had some experience already, i didn't feel like i was being taught differently. Excellent teaching!Attendee review, 15 November 2018
I really enjoyed the course - it was informative but also practical which enabled me to apply what I'd learned. I'm looking forward to using my new skills!Attendee review, 03 October 2018
I've really enjoyed it and Gary the trainer was great. Very friendly, helpful and patient.Attendee review, 03 October 2018
Everything about the experience was great. The facilities were clean, not overly complicated equipment and good to work in. Trainer was so easy to follow, helpful and made it so simple to learn. I feel like I have really improved my skills and made a difference to my learning.Attendee review, 03 October 2018
Fantastic experience. Covered a lot. Reference material excellent.Attendee review. 08 August 2018
Great course and super tutor!Janet McGhee, 22 March 2018
I really enjoyed the whole course! Gary was a fantastic teacher. I feel like i have learnt a great deal to take forward into my working life!Attendee review, 22 March 2018
Gary is a great teacher! The facilities are lovely and having intimate classes is a much better idea.Kiera Gardner, 10 January 2018
The course was fantastic, it will transform the way I work and the work that i produce. Gary was a brilliant tutor, he was able to communicate all of the processes in a friendly, engaging and instructive way.Sam Johnson, 10 January 2018
Very useful course which has allowed me to consider how to implement creative elements into projects.Attendee review, 5 December 2017
Engaging course, nice facilities, engaging & highly knowledgeable trainer.Declan Toyne, 3 November 2017
Gary was an excellent tutor and a really helpful and approachable guy - Thank you.Jack Taylor, 3 November 2017
Thank you Gary. Even with previous experience I have learnt so much more during the course, plus it's helped improve my workflow. Very helpful and clear. Facilities great, very helpful staff.Attendee review, 5 October 2017
Excellent course, i would recommend it!Attendee review, 5 October 2017
Great course, very informative & intense. Really feel like i know the basics plus it will save me loads of time! Looking forward to updating all my settings and using the shortcuts! Thanks Gary.Attendee review, 5 October 2017
Excellent facilities, perfect pace and very helpful tutor.Jill Hardcastle, 15 August 2017
Everything was perfect. Thank You! PS. food was amazing!Attendee Review, 15 August 2017
Very good thanks, very informative.Attendee review, 25 April 2017
Everything was wonderful.Attendee review, 25 April 2017
Tutor was very good, so helpful having our own manuals to use throughout the session.Attendee review, 9 March 2017
Great teaching style, kept me fully engaged.Attendee review, 9 March 2017
Gary was fab! Clear, knowledgeable, patient, kind.Attendee review, 9 November 2016
All round excellent, it's been an absolute pleasure.Attendee review, 9 November 2016
I enjoyed the course very much, I feel it has given me a good understanding of the Photoshop software that I will be using in future. Would definitely recommend this course to others. Also the tutor who was leading the course was brilliant.Joshua Brooks, 9 November 2016
Feel like i have learnt a lot from the course, was quite a newbie but i believe it has helped me extensively. Thank you Gary!Joshua Brooks, 9 November 2016
Great course, good group size, i feel much more comfortable with Photoshop!Attendee review, 9 November 2016
Gary is an excellent tutor and instructor for all things Adobe! I will be back for the advanced course.Kristina Clarke, 11 August 2016
Very impressive and informative, really enjoyable and useful training.Tom Bennett, 11 August 2016
Gary was fantastic, so knowledgeable and approachable, always taking time to explain things again if needs be. So patient and just a great tutor.Ciara Mahoney, 08 June 2016
Excellent introduction to Photoshop presented in a good, easy to understand mannerJohn Horncastle, 14 April 2016
The course was great and Gary is an excellent tutor. I thoroughly enjoyed it and gained a lot of knowledge.Mandy Haxby, 17 November 2015
Thanks, Gary - fab course! Very easy to understand, great workflow and equipment. Very approachable when you had questions too.Charlotte Sullivan, 7 July 2015
Excellent course, well delivered and all relevant.Attendee review, 7 July 2015
Gary was brilliant and had great knowledge of the subject.Attendee review, 12 May 2015