- OUR UNIVERSITY
- Public information
- Equality and inclusion
race equality forum
Committed to race equality
Our university's Race Equality Forum was created in 2010 with a remit to meet at least four times in the year to discuss, promote and air concerns students or staff may have affecting race and equality at our university.
Under the Equality Act 2010, ‘Race’ refers to a group of people defined by their race, colour and nationality (including citizenship), ethnic or national origins. We aim to promote and raise awareness of issues affecting all staff and provide mechanisms and guidance for enhancing their contribution to Leeds Beckett. BME staff and students are under-represented in our university and a significant focus of the work of the group.
- The Chair of the forum is Dr Maria Maynard - M.Maynard@leedsbeckett.ac.uk
If you would like to work with us or join our mailing list please contact the Chair or one of our associate contacts listed on this page.
Race Equality Charter
Our university is part of the Race Equality Charter Mark to improve the representation, progression and success of black and minority ethnic colleagues and students within higher education.
Annual Race Lecture
- Ethnic Relations: A Perspective from Critical Rationalism
- Solomos, J., & Hill Collins, P. (2010). Situating Race and Ethnic Studies, Introduction in: The SAGE handbook of race and ethnic studies. London, SAGE.
- Delivering Diversity: Race and Ethnicity in the Management Pipeline (Prof Nic Beech, Prof Nelarine Cornelius, Dr Lisi Gordon, Prof Geraldine Healy, Prof Emmanuel Ogbonna, Dr Gurchathen Sanghera, Chidozie Umeh, Dr James Wallace, Patrick Woodman)
- Racial Diversity Matters: The Impact of Diversity-Related Student Engagement and Institutional Context in: Am Educ Res J June 2009 vol.46 no.2 pp.322-353
- Race in the workplace, The McGregor-Smith Review
- Race in the workplace, Government response to Baroness McGregor-Smith
- Exploring black and minority ethnic (BME) doctoral students' perceptions of an academic career