Facebook tracking pixel [Skip to content]
To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact us

If you have any further questions or need advice, please contact us:

Email: Researchadmissions@leedsbeckett.ac.uk
+44 (0)113 812 9396

What do you want to know?

Do I need to have completed a masters before applying for a PhD/professional doctorate?

No - our entrance requirements are a good first degree for PhD entry, and relevant professional experience if studying for a professional doctorate. A good first degree is an honours degree with a classification of first or 2.1.

How many hours per week will I study?

We recommend that as a full-time research student you study for 37.5 hours per week. As a part-time student we recommend that you study for 16 hours per week, although this can fluctuate at certain times during the course of the programme. The University weekend induction programme is an essential part of your course and you will also meet regularly with your supervisory team.

How long will it take to complete my research degree?

Completion times will differ, depending on your chosen research degree and whether you study full-time or part-time. For example, as a full-time PhD student you would complete your study in four years and as a part-time PhD student in six years. These times include any period of writing up, examination and conferment of award.

Do you offer distance learning?

We only offer research degrees by distance learning to students outside the UK in countries where we have a specified and University approved location.  We refer to this as studying ‘offshore’. This is usually a place of education that the University has a pre-arranged agreement with.  We recommend that applicants email in the first instance with details of the approved location so we can ensure this is on our list. Any non-UK based applicant accepted as an offshore student can only start in the February of each year and must  attend our University for a minimum of two months at the beginning of the programme of study, usually February to April. If you have any question on this option please email us on researchadmissions@leedsbeckett.ac.uk.

Are any scholarships or bursaries available?

The University advertises scholarships and bursaries usually between March and June.  These are related to specific projects and normally only open to UK and EU applicants.

When will I receive my Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number?

This will be issued when you have supplied all relevant documents and have either paid 50% of the fee or supplied a sponsorship letter.

What are the English language requirements for our research degrees?
The only English Language test we accept for a research degree is IELTS, we do not accept TOEFL or any other alternatives. You should have an overall IELTS score of 7 with no individual sub-score below 6.5.
Do you make conditional offers?

No, Leeds Beckett University does not make conditional offers for a PhD. If your language level is below our standard requirements you should reapply when your language is at our required level.

What happens once I submit my application?

The University Research Office will check that your application is complete and that we have all documents that we require, eg: certificates and transcripts.   Once we have a complete application and your certificates have been verified, we send the application to the relevant faculty for them to consider the academic merit of your proposed research topic.  To ensure that your application is dealt with quickly please ensure you send all required documents.  Please note it can take up to two months for the Faculty to consider your application and we appreciate your patience during this time.    

Contact us

If you have any further questions or need advice, please contact us:

Email: Researchadmissions@leedsbeckett.ac.uk
Telephone: +44 (0)113 812 9396

Back to Top Button
Back to Top Button