How to Apply
Decide on the research degree and subject area you want to apply for.
- You can find details of our research degrees here.
- Explore the research areas available at our University.
- You can also talk to staff from the University Research Office at any time or at one of our monthly online open days.
Telephone: +44 (0)113 812 5375
Our current deadline and enrolment dates are as follows:
- February start – apply by the end of September.
- October start – apply by the end of May.
Potential applicants should familiarise themselves with our research regulations.
Complete an application form.
Submit your application form along with:
- Your research proposal
- Scanned copies of your degree certificates (e.g. undergraduate or masters degree certificates) and transcripts.
- Scanned copies of your English language requirements.
- Scanned copies of your passport and previous UK visas if applicable.
Please send all of the above to Research Admissions: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: if your first language is not English, we will require evidence that you have the necessary language skills to fulfil the requirements of the award. You will need to provide evidence of a minimum International English Language Testing System Grade 6.5 (IELTS 6.5) with no individual sub-score below 6.0 or equivalent for all research awards. For entry in February 2017 and onwards we require evidence of a minimum International English Language Testing System Grade 7.0 (IELTS 7.0) with no individual sub-score below 6.5. If you have successfully completed a UK bachelors (first or 2.1) or UK masters degree, in the two years before entry, this will suffice for the English language requirements. If you completed your UK degree over two years ago you will still need to demonstrate your English Language by taking an IELTS text.
What happens once I submit my application?
The University Research Office will check that your application is complete and that we have all documents that we require, eg: certificates and transcripts. Once we have a complete application and your certificates have been verified, we send the application to the relevant faculty for them to consider the academic merit of your proposed research topic. To ensure that your application is dealt with quickly please ensure you send all required documents. Please note it can take up to two months for the Faculty to consider your application and we appreciate your patience during this time.
- If we make you an offer, you'll need to respond by accepting or declining. You must accept your offer within 21 days. In exceptional circumstances you may need to defer - you can only do this once.
- As part of your course you will attend a University induction at the beginning of your programme of study. You need to enrol online and pay online before you start your programme. Further details will be sent to you by email. You need to attend our weekend induction which introduces you to life as a research student.
Our induction dates are as follows:
- Friday 7 and Saturday 8 October 2016.
If you have any further questions or need advice, please contact us:
Telephone: +44 (0)113 812 5375