Professor Colin Pattinson heads up the Sustainable IT research group. It has a long history of work in IT energy measurement and management, which provides the foundation for the group’s research focus on IT sustainability issues.
Our Sustainable IT research is closely aligned to the following GeSI initiatives for Europe and beyond: Smart2020, Smarter2020, and Smarter 2030. The two facets of our research and their associated research areas are:
- “Sustainable IT” (Professor Colin Pattinson, Dr. Ah-Lian Kor, and Dr. Anatoliy Gorbenko) -
(a) ICT environmental impact audit;
(b) Data Center - sustainability metrics (collaborative PERCCOM research together with ENEA, Italy and Universite de Lorraine, France);
(c) ICT Infrastructure and Devices SNMP monitoring, control, and management of network energy consumption; energy efficient networking together with Orange and Universite de Lorraine, France; energy aware cloud infrastructure; energy efficient software and mobile apps, etc…);
- “IT for Sustainability” (Professor Jiamei Deng) - smart online monitoring tool for diagnosis and prediction of NPPs’ status during different stages of loss of coolant accident (LOCA) progression; (Dr. Giuseppe Colantuono) – renewable energy storage and smart energy grid.
- EPSRC – SMART (Smart on-line monitoring for nuclear power plants) project.
- e-InfraNet - EISTER project
- GreenCo - Green Computing and Communication TEMPUS-JPCR
- PERCCOM - Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree (EMJMD) in Pervasive Computing and Communication for Sustainable Development
- ALIOT - Internet of Things Emerging Curriculum for Industry and Human Applications