We will be running a multi-sports camp for children aged between 8-16 year old from Tuesday 3 August until Thursday 19 August 2021. Plus, find out how you can join in with the LTA Youth Start tennis programme we are running at Leeds Beckett this Summer in partnership with the Lawn Tennis Association.
Camp Carnegie '21
This year, Camp Carnegie will be available for three weeks throughout August.
Starting from Tuesday 3 August, your child will be able to take part in all of the fun activities available until Thursday 19 August.
- Week 1 - Tuesday 3 August - Thursday 5 August
- Week 2 - Tuesday 10 August - Thursday 12 August
- Week 3 - Tuesday 17 August - Thursday 19 August
The camps will run between 09:00 - 16:00 and will be available for £25 per day.
Leeds Beckett members of staff can get 10% off camp prices.
This Year, Camp Carnegie will be offering multi-sports camps for children over eight years old.
The camps will include the following sports:
- American football
All Camp Carnegie sessions will be delivered by fully qualified and friendly coaches at Leeds Beckett University, Headingley Campus.
08:45 - Registration at the Sports and active lifestyle reception area.
09:00 - Camp introduction and safety
09:15 - Warm-ups and groups (split into maximum of 17 children per group)
09:45 - First rotation:
- Group 1 - Rackets, table tennis and squash
- Group 2 - American football
- Group 3 - Athletics
11:10 - Break
11:30 - Second rotation:
- Group 1 - Athletics
- Group 2 - Rackets, table tennis and squash
- Group 3 - American football
12:30 - Lunch
13:15 - Free time
14:00 - Final rotation:
- Group 1 - American football
- Group 2 - Athletics
- Group 3 - Rackets, table tennis and squash
15:15 - All groups together for group game
15:45 - Cool down and stretches
16:00 - End of camp
LTA Youth Start
The LTA Youth Start programme is a new course we are offering, in partnership with the Lawn Tennis Association, that offers children aged between four and eight the chance to learn how to play tennis with fully qualified LTA coaches.
As part of the programme you will get:
- Top coaching from LTA qualified coaches
- A tennis racket
- A set of tennis balls
- LTA Youth Start branded t-shirt
- Pair of wristbands
The LTA Youth Start courses will run for two days, between 09:00 and 12:00. There will be three courses in total available, starting from Tuesday 3 August.
LTA Youth Start course dates
- Week 1 - Tuesday 3 and Wednesday 4 August
- Week 2 - Tuesday 10 and Wednesday 11 August
- Week 3 - Tuesday 17 and Wednesday 18 August
LTA Youth Start prices
Each two-day course costs £34.99.
Book online at one of the available links below:
LTA Youth Start
Book your place today!
We remain hopeful that we will be able to run Camp Carnegie this summer. However, we will need to make sure that it is safe to do so for all involved. Below we will highlight how we expect to help keep you and each other safe during the covid-19 Pandemic, by providing guidance in how to reduce the risk of the Covid-19 transmission while attending our Camps.
There are continued requirements for safe social distancing and enhanced hygiene regimes on campus, and your experience with us may be slightly different to what you are used to. Below we have covered details around camp booking, what to do before leaving home, on arrival to the camp and the measures we are taking on the camp itself.
This guide will outline what you as a user need to do, which along with our detailed Operating Procedures which our staff and coaches will be following, will ensure the risk of Covid-19 transmission within our facilities is significantly reduced.
As government guidance is regularly being reviewed, we will ensure to keep you updated on any changes that we are required to make at Camp Carnegie.
- All bookings must be made online prior to attending camps and a maximum capacity has been set
- Please be aware that cash will not be accepted at our servery or reception, and we will be taking card payments only.
- We will be carrying out increased hygiene measures, in line with university Covid procedures. Thus includes frequent cleaning of high touchpoint areas.
- We promote handwashing, space and fresh air where possible.
- Strict cleaning handover processes will be in place.
- Please bring a face covering with you to the centre as university policy is to wear a mask in all circulation areas.
- Please bring hand sanitiser with you. We also have sanitising stations around the centre. There are lots of hand sanitising points around the centre and we will be encouraging children to wash hands regularly
- Ensure you have any booking confirmation available to show to our staff on arrival. When booking the camp, you are accepting the guidance in this guide and the outlined new ways of operating.
- We ask that you inform us as soon as possible if you, or you child has been exposed to the virus. Also, if you or your child are showing any symptoms of Covid-19 (temperature, cough, difficulty breathing, or anosmia e.g. loss of taste or smell). Please call us and do not attend until a negative test has been received.
- If camps are forced to be cancelled due to a covid-19 outbreak, we will ensure to contact parent/guardians immediately to discuss next steps.
- Arrive ready to take part in your activity. Once you have finished your activity, leave the venue as soon as you can. Changing rooms are not available for general use at present.
- Shower at home, pre and post activity.
- We will have one-way systems in place for moving around the sports centre
- Capacities are controlled around the sports centre to minimise crowding
- All adults will be wearing face coverings in circulation areas. However coaches are not required to wear a face covering while coaching
- You will be required to provide contact details for “Test and Trace” purposes. Please be assured that this information will be kept in accordance with data protection legislation and is simply a method to be able to support the wider test and trace efforts across the country. These will be requested when booking and kept for 21 days after the booking.
What can you expect from Sports and Active Lifestyles staff?
- All staff have undergone training in the Temporary Operating Procedures. These will change frequently as government issue new advice and we learn better ways of doing things. Please be patient and bear with us, your safety will take priority over everything else and we apologise in advance if this causes any frustrations.
- Staff may be required to breach safe social distancing to provide emergency first aid, basic life support or administer effective evacuations during an incident. All staff have been trained in accordance with guidelines issues by the Health and Safety Executive.
- We have invested in new electrostatic disinfection cleaning technologies which in addition to surface cleaning will ensure we can offer the highest levels of hygiene. As such we will be periodically closing certain areas and facilities to allow staff to disinfect all our equipment and touchpoints. These closures will be built into our bookings timetable.
Camp Carnegie FAQs
All bookings must be done online and in advance of the first day that your child is attending camp. Due to Covid-19 we will need to know numbers in advance so we can group participants accordingly. Please see links below:
Camp Carnegie online link- Summer Sports Camp | 3 - 19 August 2021 | Leeds Beckett University for ages 8 and above.
LTA Youth Start links-
Week 1 Link- LTA Youth Start / Course
Week 2 Link- LTA Youth Start / Course
Week 3 Link- LTA Youth Start / Course
You are welcome to book individual days for Camp Carnegie ages 8 and above, however LTA Youth Start is a course so you can not book individual days.
We do not currently accept childcare vouchers.
We require seven days notice for a full refund and a minimum of 48-hours’ notice for your booking to be moved to an alternative date.
If you need to cancel due to illness, we will require a doctor’s note to issue credit.
Cancellations due to Covid-19 positive tests, or due to needing to isolate, will be given refunds in full.
Registration will take place at the Sport and Active Lifestyles reception area- Headingley Campus, Leeds, LS6 3QQ. Please arrive 15 minutes prior to the start time to ensure we can get started promptly.
Parents are required to sign children both in and out of camp. Please make the Head of Camp aware who is collecting your child along with a contact number for the person.
If your child can leave the camp on their own, then a written letter of consent will be needed prior to the camp starting.
Children will have been put into groups prior to arrival and the coach leading that group will collect and take them to their first location.
Unfortunately, due to the staff costs there will be a charge for late collection. This isn’t something that we want to do at Camp Carnegie, however two members of staff will be required to stay until parents arrive and we will need to cover the cost of their time. There will be a £5 charge for every 15 minutes you are late.
This is payable on arrival at reception. Also please contact us on 0113 812 3160 to inform us.
Please make sure to bring the following items with you:
- Plenty of fluid and a refillable water bottle
- A healthy lunch and two snacks for morning and afternoon break (no nuts please).
- Wear suitable clothing such as tracksuit bottoms, legging, shorts, t-shirts, jumpers and trainers. You need to be ready to play sport.
- Waterproof clothes, warm layers, sun hat (we will go outside in most weather so please be prepared for all weather).
- Applied sun cream – please apply a high factor sun protection cream to your child before they attend camp. During Summer we recommend that your child brings this with them to re-apply throughout the day, our coaches will remind the children at break times and lunchtimes.
- Please label your kit and your bag.
- Children can bring their own equipment (tennis/badminton racket) if they wish but we would not take responsibility for it if it is lost or stolen.
- Please avoid bringing electronic equipment or any jewellery/ expensive watches. We will not be responsible for any personal belongings that are lost, stolen or missing.
Please note lunch will not be provided, but we will provide equipment for the activities.
Sessions will be delivered by qualified and DBS checked coaches.
Available for ages 8 -16. Please note, we can accommodate 7yr olds but would need a signed parental consent form.
LTA Youth Start
Available for ages 4- 8. Children are placed in appropriate groups depending on ability & age. Ratios are 1:10, we do aim to have lower numbers on that depending on workforce.
Directions to Headingley campus can be found here. Parking is available on site in the pay & display car park as you come in through Churchwood Avenue entrance.
Parking is free on evenings from 16:00 and on weekends. There is a 15 minute drop off & collection point in the pay & display car park.
From the car park head up the path towards the new Carnegie School of Sport building and you will find us near the top on the right.
We do not accept childcare vouchers; however we do offer a half price discount for a third child you sign up.
We also offer a staff discount but payments for both these options will need to be arranged through ourselves.
To arrange email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please complete and return our imagine consent form prior to your child attending camp. If you do not wish for your child to be involved in any photo’s or recording then they will be given a wristband so they can be identifiable.
Please make sure to complete the medical form prior to arrival on the camp.
Aside from the form if you think there is anything else you need to tell us please let us know by email in advance of the camp and inform the camp leader on the day.
If your child needs to take medication please make sure they have a letter signed by you, with explanation of how and when this needs to be administered. We can only administer prescribed medication which has been agreed in advance in writing.
Any medications should be handed to the Camp Manager and should not be stored with the child’s personal belongings. In the event of an accident, first aid will be administered to all children in our care and the emergency services will be called if necessary unless stated otherwise during the registration process.
We also cannot apply sun cream, so if the weather is sunny make sure your child has the appropriate factor of protection with them.
When your child needs the toilet, we ensure that they will be accompanied by another child on the camp.