Coaching & Development
Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing Gym Based Exercise (YMCA Award)
External Candidates £549
Leeds Beckett Student (NON Accredited course - see list below) £449
Leeds Beckett Student (*Accredited course): £399
*Accredited degree courses = Physical Activity, Exercise and Health (formerly known as SPAH) / Sport and Exercise Science
Physical Education / Sport and Exercise Therapy /Sports Coaching
Please note there is some online learning. The online material is available to help facilitate your learning throughout the course.
Plus also note Re-sit fees will apply further details on the booking page
Venue : Leeds Beckett University, City Gym, Leeds LS1 3HE
Dates & Times -
Course Three - course cancelled - new dates published summer 2020
Course Aims / Content
This qualification is aimed at the learner who wants to pursue a career in the health and fitness industry as a fitness instructor in the context of gym-based exercise.
Learners will cover:
- anatomy and physiology including:
- the heart and circulatory system
- the respiratory system
- structure and function of the skeleton
- musculoskeletal system
- postural and core stability
- the nervous and energy systems and their relation to exercise
- how to maintain health, safety and welfare in a variety of fitness environments, including the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults
- how to programme safe and effective exercise for a range of clients, the health benefits of physical activity and the importance of healthy eating
- how to communicate with clients effectively, and motivate clients to adhere to an exercise programme
- the skills and knowledge required to plan and prepare a gym-based exercise programme with apparently healthy adults - both individuals and groups. This may include young people in the 14-16 age range, provided they are part of a larger adult group. Client groups also covered are older adults, ante and postnatal clients and disabled clients provided the relevant contraindications and key safety guidelines are observed
Learners will develop the knowledge and skills needed to plan and instruct gym-based exercise sessions for (apparently-healthy) adults of all ages. This involves learning how to teach a variety of gym-based exercises and use a range of gym equipment to plan and deliver gym sessions. They will also learn how to provide effective support for clients who take part in exercise and physical activity.
Pre - requisites
- Be over 16
- Have experience of using cardiovascular equipment; machine and free weights in a gym environment
- Candidates must book a minimum of 1 week in advance of the 5-day practical course to be registered for the eLearning.
Course Structure/Course Duration
The learning will take place over 5 full days. You must attend all days/times for the course you select to be eligible to take your practical assessment. Failure to attend the course in full will mean that you may be withdrawn from your practical assessment and will be required to attend further training at your own expense prior to taking the assessment.
Candidates must attend all the sessions on the course at the same venue and pass all elements of assessment to be successful.
The assessment has 3 main components:
- Two multi-choice exam papers (50 minutes each):
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Principles of Training
- Two Worksheets:
- Health and Safety
- Knowing how to motivate your client
- One Practical Assessment:
- Design of a safe and effective gym based exercise programme
- Delivery of a safe and effective gym based exercise programme
All candidates will be required to complete theory learning online in preparation for the two exams on the 5-day practical course.