Coaching & Development
This course aims to build on skills learnt on the Level 1 course and will expand your knowledge of working with groups of players in different environments. It will focus on running short format competitions that will allow beginners to enjoy competing. If you want to help within a coaching programme and would like to be able to deliver group coaching to beginners of any age then this qualification is for you.
CARE: Have you checked your eligibility on the LTA WEBSITE? - check here! Please read the course details carefully.
- Do you have an up to date LTA DBS check (less than 12 months old?)
- And a current six hour first aid qualification?
How to update your LTA record
If you have completed a First Aid course and it is not showing in your Coach Secure Area, the LTA will need to see evidence of the certificate. You can scan a copy of the certificate or take a clear photograph and send this to your regional team or the British Tennis Services Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All this needs to be in place before you apply!
IF the LTA system does not show that you are ELIGIBLE we are unable to add you to the course.
Your application will therefore be rejected if you do not meet the course pre-requisites.
- External Candidates: £410.00
- Leeds Beckett Student/Staff: £390.00
Course dates for 2020-2021 TBC
- Be registered with the LTA or have a current, satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) obtained through the LTA. Please note: The Disclosure must be processed through the LTA and be less than 12 months old at the start of the course. The LTA cannot accept a Disclosure completed by another organisation, regardless of issue date..
- Hold a current HSE approved First Aid certificate.
- Have an active interest and involvement in tennis.
- Hold the 1st4sport Level 1 Coaching Assistant Qualification or the LTA Tennis Assistants/ECA/ETTC.
If you hold a UKCC endorsed, 1st4sport awarded Level 2 in another sport you can bypass Level 1 and take level 2.
If you hold a teaching qualification (PGCE or equivalent) specialising in P.E. then you can bypass Level 1 and take Level 2 (Certificates must be sent with application).
If you have or previously had an ATP or WTA singles or doubles world ranking you can bypass level 2 and take Level 3, (you must have successfully completed Level 1).
The qualification is divided into the following units:
- Coaching Principles and Ethics
- Plan Coaching Sessions
- Conduct Coaching Sessions
- Review Coaching Sessions
- Coaching Tennis
- 4 hours coaching experience between day 2 and 3 of the course
- 4 hours coaching experience between day 4 and 5 of the course
The course duration is 5 days:
2 consecutive days followed by a 4 - 6 week break for mentored experience, a further 2 consecutive days followed by a 4 - 6 week break for mentored experience, then a final 1 day assessment.
Candidates are required to have their coaching assistant experience organised before the course starts. For help with this please contact us at email@example.com or your LTA county office.Course Exam/Certificate
The course is assessed in two areas:
- On court practical coaching assessment using course materials
- Portfolio of evidence
Candidates must attend all the sessions on the course at the same venue and pass all elements of assessment to be successful.
- 5 days
- Carnegie Sports Centre, Leeds Beckett University, Headingley Campus, Leeds, LS6 3QQ
Please select a file