Junior Sports Academy
Junior Sports Academy
Carnegie Junior Sports Academy is back
Our weekly Carnegie Junior Sports Academy sessions give young people the opportunity to have fun through physical activity in a safe and structured environment. Taking part in sport is also a great way to develop teamwork and communication skills, improve confidence and keep healthy.
Our Carnegie Junior Sports Academy provides a variety of sports activities for children of all abilities, ranging from weekly sessions to Camp Carnegie, which we offer during the Easter and Summer school holidays. Further details on Camp Carnegie 2022 will be available soon.
All of our sessions are delivered by qualified and inspirational coaches. They are designed to be fun in a safe and supportive environment and provide great value for money.
- Term 1 - Monday 11 October - Saturday 18 December
- Term 2 - Monday 24 January - Saturday 3 April (no sessions delivered during half-term)
- Term 3 - Monday 19 April - Saturday 11 July (no sessions delivered during half-term)
Please note that we will continue to follow the government guidance and will announce any unforeseen updates as soon as we are aware.
Carnegie Junior Sports Academy - available sports
American Football is one of the fastest growing sports in the UK. It is a fast-paced sport that develops discipline, teamwork, confidence, and communication skills.
The Carnegie Junior American Football Academy provides high-quality, fun, safe and inclusive sessions open to both complete beginners and more experienced players.
We offer sessions of both non-contact (flag) and full contact (helmets and pads) versions of the game.
- A typical flag session (non-contact) will involve learning passing and catching techniques, improving defensive skills, and introducing the strategy of the game.
- A full contact session (for ages 14+) involves similar elements but participants will be fully kitted in helmets and pads and practice tackling and blocking skills.
Sessions run on a Saturday morning at Leeds Beckett University, Headingley Campus. Athletes are greeted in the sport and active lifestyle reception area and the sessions take place on our 3G pitch.
Times (for u13s / 16s / 19s sessions) - 10:30 -12:00
Cost per session: £5.00
If you would like to attend the Carnegie Junior American Football Academy or for further information, please contact email@example.com.
Term times are slightly different for the Carnegie Junior American Football Academy and the sessions start back on Saturday 23 October.
Coach: Dale Bottomley
Dale Bottomley is the lead coach for American Football and oversees the American Sports Programme at Leeds Beckett.
Prior this role, Dale founded the Leeds Academy of American Football. The Academy has worked with over 30 primary and secondary schools in the region over the past two years and held numerous inter-school competitions.
In addition, he has worked to develop an American Football Leader's Award, delivers coaching course and was the 2015 British American Football Coach of the Year for the women's section of the sport.
Our Carnegie Junior Athletics Academy runs on Saturdays during at the Headingley Campus. Sessions will take place on our outdoor track. The session is open to Juniors between the ages of 8-16 years and is available for all abilities. Athletes will be provided with a quality coaching programme allowing them to develop their own individual skills, through different drills and disciplines.
A typical session will consist of 1-2 different technical athletic disciplines, such as:
- High Jump
- Long Jump
- Shot put
All the activities that the Juniors take part in have key transferable skills for their development.
Times and Costs
Ages 8 - 10
- Time: 12:00 - 13:00
- Cost: £3.50 per session
- Time: 13:00 - 14:30
- Cost: £5.00 per session
If you require further information or would like to register, then please contact the on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Leeds Beckett University is proud to host the Carnegie Junior Squash Academy, offering squash lessons to juniors aged 8 - 16 years of all standards. The programme provides all players with a high-quality coaching programme, allowing them to develop their own individual skills, in a fun and safe environment.
A typical session includes technique and tactics of the modern junior game, incorporating fitness and plenty of fun. The players learn the most important pillars to the squash game at the level they are playing as well as working through the rules of the game and how to play.
The sessions take place at Headingley Campus in the squash courts on a Saturday.
Times and cost
Ages 8 - 10
- Time - 10:00-11:00
- Cost - £3.50 per session
Age- 11 and above
- Time 11:00-12:00
- Cost: £3.50 per session
For more information on Carnegie Junior Squash Sessions or to register for a place please contact email@example.com.
Carnegie Junior Tennis Academy is based at the Sport and Active lifestyle sports centre at the Headingley Campus. During the winter months (up until Easter) the coaching takes place in our indoor centre. After the Easter holidays we move to the outdoor courts.
The coach/child ratio ensures your child receives quality instruction throughout the courses. All tennis coaches are LTA qualified, on the Carnegie Tennis Coach mentoring program and have a current DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check. Courses are programmed to follow school terms.
The Tennis sessions are aimed at Children of all abilities and Children from ages 4-18 Years of age.
- LTA Youth Red/ Blue sessions are for children aged 4-8 Years. Children will learn fundamental skills for tennis through play in a fun, stimulating and safe environment. Children will be encouraged to make decisions and positively cooperate with other children. Sessions will be active with skills being developed at an appropriate pace to the child’s experience and ability.
- LTA Youth Orange sessions are for children aged 8-9 Years. Children learn the rules & scoring to play the game from serve & return. Coaches will support children to grow their motor skills (orientation, hand-eye coordination, running & moving) to play in a dynamic environment. At the Orange stage children will increase proficiency, problem-solving skills & learn sportsmanship.
- LTA Youth Green Sessions are for children aged 10-11 Years. Children enjoy playing tennis on a full-size court. Coaches will help children to grow their game to play with variety and will continue to improve their tactical awareness whilst refining technique. Children will become more autonomous and accept greater responsibilities.
- LTA Youth Yellow Sessions are aimed at ages 11 and above. Children are now playing on a full-size court with the balls the professional’s use. Children will continue to explore different game styles and start to find their own. They will evolve through well-rounded motor skills development whilst improving their physical capacities. By this stage, children will be tennis fans for life.
This Year we will also be offering LTA Youth Start sessions for ages 4-11. LTA Youth Start is a starter course for kids, comprising of 6 high quality sessions, that introduce tennis to children in a fun and relaxed environment.
What you can expect:
- An enthusiastic coach who has attended a specific LTA Youth Start training course
- An LTA Youth Start racket, ball-set, and branded t-shirt delivered right to your door
- An opportunity for parents to get involved
- A follow-on offer to encourage you to keep playing at the venue after the course is complete
If you have any questions or queries, then please contact Juniorsportsacademy@leedsbeckett.ac.uk