Leeds Beckett Tennis Club boasts 11 teams and 2 development squads. We are regularly the highest BUCS points-earning programme at Leeds Beckett. In 2017/18 we won 8 BUCS Leagues and 2 Cup competitions.
Why Should I Join?
We are a fun, friendly club with sessions for all kinds of players. We also hold regular social events along with charity events, for everyone to get involved in. The club provides an abundance of amazing opportunities for everyone. Beckett tennis players have recently travelled to the likes of Spain and China to train and compete!
All prospective members are encouraged to find our stand at Fresher’s Fair, on Wednesday 25th September, to find out more information or alternatively you can contact us through the links below.
First round trials:
Thursday 26th September - 11am-6pm - Tennis Courts
Friday 27th September - 11am-6pm - Tennis Courts
Saturday 28th September - 11am-6pm - Tennis Courts
Sunday 29th September - 11am-6pm - Tennis Courts
You can get in touch with us - and find out the most up to date news - by following us on social media
It is preferable for members to bring their own tennis racket, however, they can be borrowed from the club if needed.
- 90% of Students who graduated after delivering coaching as a leadership academy student are now full-time coaches.
- 75% of all student team members, current and past, work in the tennis industry full or part time.
- This year a further 12 coaches trained and passed their exams including three Level 3's and one Level 4.
- It is estimated that our 170 full time coaches who have graduated from Leeds Beckett are earning over £6.8million between them, with the average coach earning £40,000.
There are consistent training hours throughout the week and regular recreational sessions, all of which take place at the tennis centre at Headingley Campus.
We have many courts available including:
- Four indoor courts (that are mainly used in the colder months)
- Four outdoor all-weather courts for warmer weather
- Four clay courts
Our training programmes include:
- Performance coaching
- Strength & conditioning sessions
Steve McLoughlin - Head Coach
Steve brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to Beckett’s Tennis programme.
Steve is an LTA Level 5 coach that has worked across education and some top centres including the University of Loughborough and David Lloyd to name a few, having also received a LTA coach of the year award.
Steve has also worked with some of the country’s top rising stars and is fully committed to coaching the next generation of players at Leeds Beckett.
For more information about playing tennis at Leeds Beckett contact Steve by email Steven.McLoughlin@leedsbeckett.ac.uk
- Recreational Tennis:
Fun, informal sessions are available, ranging from Free Play to Cardio Tennis. For more information please contact Kirsty McPhee by email K.M.Mcphee@leedsbeckett.ac.uk
- Disability Tennis:
Our University is a partner of the Tennis Foundation creating opportunity for players with disabilities. It is a major partner in the Leeds Disability Network and currently trains GB Performance Wheelchair player (Ed Holt). A previous student of the university includes Catherine Fletcher (GB Deaflympian – Gold & current GB National Deaf Coach).
If you are interested in this programme and would like further information please contact Louise Assioun on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tennis Coaching:
Our University has a high reputation for supporting Tennis in the University sector, creating opportunities to combine education with tennis, whilst continuing to play or develop as a coach, within a fully mentored, integrated and supportive environment.
Graduate Students have gained careers in Tennis in general tennis coaching, performance coaching, Head Coaching Positions, County administrators, National Performance Coaches and many linked into Sport Science and marketing careers. The University is also the only University to be an accredited LTA/ Skillsactive Coach Education Centre in the UK, focusing on:
- Providing LTA coaching qualifications (L1 & L2) at our University and throughout Yorkshire.
- Tutoring Level 3 and Level 4 courses at Leeds Beckett University.
- Providing a range of LTA CPD and CPD written by Leeds Beckett.
- Provide a coach mentorship programme for students – Volunteers / Coaching Scholarships / Senior Coaching Scholarships / Student Tennis Ambassador / University Tennis Co-ordinator.