Research at Leeds Beckett
About Bev Keen
Bev is an experienced senior lecturer who teaches across a range of initial teacher training undergraduate and post graduate courses focused on the 3-7 years old age range, and also on the BA Childhood Studies course. She is the course leader of the BA (Hons) Early Childhood Education leading to QTS (2 year route) course. She teaches on a range of modules including Professional Studies, the EYFS and KS1 curriculum including a focus on literacy, early reading and phonics. Her MA research focused on evaluating student’s perceptions about teaching early reading.
Bev has a particular interest in the use of the outdoor learning environment, both with children and students. She is involved in organising and supporting two residential outdoor experiences with groups of undergraduate ITE students each year in the Lake District. Within the Childhood Studies degree, Bev is the module leader of an elective focused on ‘The Role of the Outdoors within Childhood (0-18 years). She is a Forest School Level Three Practitioner, and is currently involved in embedding Forest School practice into the modules within a range of QTS and non QTS courses.
Prior to working in higher education Bev taught children across the Reception to Year Six age range for 16 years and for four years she was involved in the North Yorkshire LEA research project on the use of dialogic talk within classrooms. She was proactive in using the outdoor environment with children, including organising two outdoor residential experiences each year.
- Course Leader: BA (Hons) Early Childhood Education leading to QTS (2 year route)
- BA (Hons) Early Childhood Education leading to QTS ( 2 year route)
- Personal and Professional Development and Practice 1 : The Role of the Teacher (Module Leader)
- Foundation Subjects at KS1 (Module Leader)
- Inclusive Practice 1: SEND (Module Leader)
- Understanding the EYFS (Module Tutor)
- Core Subjects at KS1 (Module Tutor)
- Introduction to the Early Years Curriculum (Module Tutor)
- Personal and Professional Development and Practice 2: Teaching in the Broader Context (Module Leader)
- Developing Subject Knowledge (Module Leader)
- Inclusive Practice 2 : EAL and Behaviour Management (Module Leader)
- Core Subjects at KS1 (Module tutor)
- Critical Reflections on Pedagogy (Module Tutor)
- Alwoodley Reading Project
- Bev organises and accompanies the final year students from the ECE and Primary undergraduate courses on the Alwoodley Reading Project, where she observes and provides each student with formative feedback.
- PGCE Primary (3-7 years)
- Applied Pedagogy 1 (3-7 years) (Module Tutor)
- Applied Pedagogy 2 (3-7 years) (Module Tutor)
- PGCE EYTS
- Applied Pedagogy 1 (0-5 years) (Module Tutor)
- Applied Pedagogy 2 (0-5 years) Module Tutor)
- Childhood Studies
- Y3: The Role of the Outdoor Environment in Childhood (0-18 years) (Module Leader)
Bev is currently carrying out a small scale study focused on ‘Student perceptions of the impact of an outdoor residential experience during an ITE course on their personal and professional development.' The findings will be used to impact on the organisation of future residential experiences with the courses.
She is involved in a small scale study with Yinka Olusoga (Leeds Beckett University) and Liz Chesworth (Sheffield University) focused on 'Enhancing Play - An examination of student teachers' experiences of championing play provision in placement settings.' The findings of this research are being presented at the EECERA Conference in Dublin in September 2016.