About Catherine Thompson
Kate is a senior physiotherapy lecturer at Leeds Beckett University, teaching across the BSc and MSc (pre-registration) programmes. Kate is currently studying for her PhD: a critical evaluation of pain education for pre-registration physiotherapists, which is funded by Health Education England.
Kate has worked at the University since 2008 specialising in MSK (musculoskeletal), research, and pain. Prior to this Kate worked in the NHS in Leeds in both primary and secondary care. She studied BSc Physiotherapy at the University of Liverpool, and MSc in Rehabilitation at the University of Bradford. Since working at the University Kate has also completed her PGCHE teaching qualification.
Kate teaches across BSc (Hons) and MSc Pre-Registration Physiotherapy Programmes in the following subjects:
- Research methods
- Multi-system physiology
- Leadership in healthcare
- Professional skills for practice
Kate’s research interests focus on pain education for physiotherapists, and for the wider healthcare professions. Kate is also interested in wider MSK clinical and education based research.
Journal articles (4)
- Thompson C; Milligan J; Johnson M; Briggs M (2018) Twenty-five years of pain education research - what have we learned? Findings from a comprehensive scoping review of research into pre-registration pain education for health professionals
View Repository Record
- Thompson K; Milligan J; Johnson MI; Briggs M (2016) Pain education in pre-registration professional health courses: A protocol for a scoping review
View Repository Record
- Thompson K; Tashani O; Jones G (2014) A preliminary investigation into the diagnostic accuracy of clinical neurological examination in patients with lumbar radiating leg painhttp://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/ppa/pr/2014/00002014/00000036/art00005
- Jones G; Thompson K; Johnson M (2013) Acute compartment syndrome after minor trauma in a patient with undiagnosed mild haemophilia B
Conference contributions (6)
- Thompson C; Briggs E; Swift A (2018) Excellence in Pain Education: Evidence and Solutions for Clinical and University Education Brighton 01/05/2018.
- Thompson C (2017) Methods of evaluating pain education Birmingham 03/05/2017.
- Thompson C; Milligan J; Johnson M; Briggs M (2016) Pain education in professional health courses - a scoping review of guidelines, standards and frameworks. Liverpool 11/11/2016. http://www.physiotherapyjournal.com/article/S0031-9406(16)30125-0/fulltext
- Thompson K; Milligan J; Johnson M; Briggs M (2016) Pain education professional health courses - a scoping review Harrogate 10/05/2016.
- Thompson K; Pape H (2011) Reliability of neurological testing in patients with lumbar radiculopathy. The MRI and the Clinician. Poster Presentation Liverpool 07/10/2011.
- Naushutz F; Thompson K (2011) The Efficacy of Ultrasound-Guided Injections for Shoulder Pain: A Systematic Review. Poster Presentation Liverpool 07/10/2011.