Dr Bronwen Edwards
Dr Bronwen Edwards is a cultural and historical geographer / cultural historian with a distinctive approach to the discipline, drawing from academic experience within geography and history, and also from professional work in museums, town planning and architectural conservation.
She works on gender, sexuality and identity; twentieth century consumption cultures, spaces, and networks; geographies of fashion; architectural landscapes and modernity; contemporary and historical attitudes to conservation and heritage.
Dr Edwards welcomes research students in the broad areas of twentieth century culture; architectural heritage and planning; retail and consumption; gender, identity and feminism; fashion and design.
- PhD University of the Arts London
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- BA (Hons) Human Geography
- BA (Hons) Human Geography and Planning
- MA Town and Regional Planning
- Research student supervision
Dr Edwards is currently working with Historic England on the project ‘Pride of Place: LGBTQ Heritage’
She is also working on a project about British menswear retailers and the transatlantic market place in the mid twentieth century, supported by the Centre for Culture and the Arts.
Journal articles (5)
- Edwards B (2018) Shops on A-Deck: Transatlantic Consumption, the Masculine Tourist and the Metropolitanisation of the Ocean Liner.
View Repository Record
- Ashmore S; Edwards B; Gilbert D (2012) 'Mr Bourne's dilemma'. Consumer culture, property speculation and department store demise: The rise and fall of Bourne and Hollingsworth on London's Oxford Street
- Edwards B; Gilbert D (2008) 'Piazzadilly!': The re-imagining of Piccadilly Circus (1957-72)
- Edwards B (2006) Swinging Boutiques and the Modern Store: Designing Shops for Post-war London
- Edwards B (2006) "We Are Fatally Influenced by Goods Bought in Bond Street": London, Shopping, and the Fashionable Geographies of 1930s Vogue
- Edwards B (2010) Edward becomes King. In: Hatt M; O'Neill M The Edwardian Sense: Art and Experience in Britain 1901-1910. London: Yale, pp. .
- Edwards B (2009) Simpsons: a Flagship Department Store. In: Kent T; Brown R Flagship Marketing: Concepts and Place. London: Routledge, pp. .
- Edwards B; Gilbert D (2007) Planning the Fashion City - Methods and Sources for Re-interpreting 1960s London. In: Gagen E; Lorimer H; Vasudevan A Practicing the Archive: Reflections on methods and Practice in Historical Geography: Historical Geography Research Group Series. London: Royal Geographical Society., pp. .
- Edwards B (2006) Shaping the Shopping City: West End Master Plans and Pipe Dreams 1945-1979'. In: Breward C; Gilbert D Fashion's World Cities. Oxford: Berg, pp. .
- Edwards B (2006) Brave New London: Architecture for a Swinging City. In: Breward C; Gilbert D; Lister J Swinging sixties. London: Victoria & Albert Museum, pp. .
- Edwards B (2006) West End Shopping with Vogue: 1930s Geographies of Metropolitan Consumption. In: Benson J; Ugolini L Cultures of Selling. Aldershot: Ashgate Publishing, pp. .
- Edwards B (2003) A Man's World? Masculinity and Metropolitan Modernity At Simpson Piccadilly. In: Gilbert D; Matless D; Short B Geographies of British Modernity. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, pp. .
Conference proceedings (2)
- Edwards B (2009) Concrete watching: Networks of Architectural Activism. In: 2008 Annual International Conference of the Design History Society (UK) University College Falmouth 03/09/2008 00:00:00. Boca Raton: Universal, pp. .
- Edwards B (2006) 'The department store: metropolitan flagship in national networks of fashion consumption', Spaces & Places: Exploring the Flagship Concept. In: . : , pp. .