Dr Ian Truelove
About Dr Ian Truelove
Ian Truelove is an educator, artist, designer and technologist whose work explores the nature of material reality through creative practice. His research, which is predominately painting-led, is informed by philosophy, quantum theory and art history.
Ian is currently investigating the potential for using virtual reality technologies in a creative context, building on research undertaken as part of the JISC funded project, Open Habitat. Through this project, in collaboration with colleagues at the University of Oxford and King’s College London, Truelove investigated how ‘maker’ approaches in multi-user virtual environments might enhance arts-based teaching and research. He is now developing strands of this research through his PhD, with a particular focus on the specificity of the pixel as a painting medium.
He is the School of Art, Architecture and Design’s representative on the University’s Research and Enterprise Technology Advisory Group, and advises this group on the latest VR development, informed by his own art-practice and his participation in events such as the VR Show at the Business Design Centre in London, April 2017. He delivered a VR workshop at the Deleuze Studies International Conference Camp in Rome, July 2016, and is showcasing a new VR-based artwork at the Exploring Digital Futures conference in Scarborough, May 2017.
- BA (Hons) Fine Art
- BA (Hons) Graphic Arts & Design
- MA Art & Design
Recent outputs include the collaborative artwork, ‘Seven American Deaths and Disasters’ with Kenneth Goldsmith and Professor Simon Morris in Reading as Art (Exhibition) at Bury Art Gallery (2016), the publication of the journal article, ‘Z is for zero: the world is flat’ (2017) in Design and Creativity, and the screening of the video artwork, ‘The thing in itself’ (2016), on the Big Screen in Millennium Square, Leeds.
Journal articles (1)
- Truelove I (In press) Z is for Zero: The World is Flat.https://www.academia.edu/28869669/Z_is_for_Zero_-_Sept_2016_rewrite.pdf
Conference contributions (14)
- Truelove I (2017) Talking about art is like dancing about food Leeds Beckett University 05/07/2017.
- Truelove I (2017) Spaces, places and in/dependent learning Leeds Beckett University 29/06/2017.
- Truelove I (2017) Exploring Digital Futures Conference, Scarborough (2017) Art & VR. Scarborough 26/05/2017.
- Truelove I (2016) Just about becoming: painting a skin of life Department of Philosophy, Communication and Visual Arts of University of Roma Tre, Rome. 03/07/2016.
- Hibbert G; Truelove I (2015) Making It up as You Go Along: The Iterative Aglie Development of an Online Journaling Tool London 16/09/2015.
- Truelove I (2015) Design & Creativity Conference .
- Truelove I (2015) Making It up as You Go Along: The Iterative Agile Development of an Online Journaling Tool. University of Arts, London 01/01/2015.
- Truelove I; Hibbert G (2012) CAGD: An Integrated E-portfolio, Social-networking, Course-management and Communications Platform. University of the Arts, London. 05/09/2012.
- Truelove I; Charnley C (2012) Collective Body: International Online Collaborative Art. Tampere University of Applied Sciences, Finland 01/05/2012.
- Truelove I (2009) Open Habitat poster presentation. University of Manchester. 07/09/2009. Association of Learning Technology..
- Truelove I; Hibbert G (2008) How to walk before you know your name - Pre Second Life scaffolding for Noobs. Open University, Milton Keynes. 01/11/2008.
- Truelove I (2008) 'OpenSim: an introduction to Virtual Worlds' conference workshop. University of Leeds. 08/09/2008. Association of Learning Technology..
- Truelove I (2008) OpenHabitat: Using multi-user virtual environments in higher education. Orange Island, Second Life. 01/04/2008.
- Truelove I (2008) How to walk before you know your name - Pre Second Life scaffolding for Noobs. .