Dr Karen Horwood
Karen is a geographer and planner. She has a particular interest in women and planning, and is convening the Women and Planning in the UK conference May 2019.
Karen's research examines planning policy in relation to the needs of women. She is also interested in the histories of women and planning activity, and how this informs approaches to day and in the future.
Karen is a committee member for Women in Planning Yorkshire Branch and prior to joining Leeds Beckett, Karen worked in regeneration at Leeds City Council.
Karen teaches into the BA (Hons.) Human Geography, Human Geography & Planning, and Master of Planning programmes on the following modules:
- Development of Geographical Thought (module leader)
- Planning Policy & Practice (module leader)
- Women and the Built Environment (co module leader)
She has also previously taught on:
- Critical Geographies
- Development of Planning Thought
- Geographies of Diversity
- Key Issues in Human Geography
- Planning and Managing Towns and Cities
- Planning and Managing Places and Spaces
- Sustainable Urban Regeneration
Karen's doctoral research completed in 2016 focused on green infrastructure policy-making in the North West region of the UK. Taking an interpretive position she critically explained how the concept of green infrastructure changed and developed as it became part of the wider policy-making environment.
Karen's research was featured in Science for Environment Policy, the European Commission's environmental news service for policy makers, distributed to over 14,000 subscribers, and EG magazine. As a result of this coverage, Karen has been approached by researchers and practitioners across the EU to discuss her research.
Journal articles (4)
- Edwards B; Horwood K; Pusey A; Hope M; Haigh D (2020) Making Space for the Dissertation : a Rural Retreat for Undergraduate Students
View Repository Record
- Horwood K (2020) The Development of Green Infrastructure Policy in the North West Region of the UK 2005-2010
View Repository Record
- Horwood K; von Benzon N (2011) Urban Green Space Special Edition Guest Editorial
- Horwood K (2011) Green infrastructure: reconciling urban green space and regional economic development: lessons learnt from experience in England's north-west region
Conference contributions (7)
- Horwood K (2020) Women and Core Strategies/Local Plans Online 08/09/2020.
- Horwood K (2020) Inclusion and Equality Stream Online 08/09/2020.
- Horwood K (2020) Feminist planning and minecraft Online 08/07/2020.
- Horwood K; Grafton K; Manley A (2019) Beckett Break-Ins Leeds 27/06/2019.
- Horwood K (2019) Women and Core Strategies Leeds 20/05/2019.
- Horwood K (2019) Women and Planning Leeds 20/05/2019.
- Bradley Q; Horwood K (2011) The right to urban green space: the transformative effects of environmental projects in mutual housing London 31/08/2011.
- Horwood K; Bradley Q; Inch A; Chapman K; Tait M; Wilson E; Crookes L; Goode C; Clifford B; Colenutt B (2020) The Right Answers to the Right Questions. Town and Country Planning Association.