Research at Leeds Beckett
Dr Maria De Angelis
About Dr Maria De Angelis
Dr Maria De Angelis is a Senior Lecturer in Criminology. She undertook her doctoral research at the University of Hull in her specialist area - Human Trafficking. Maria's pedagogy and research foreground the relationship between criminal justice and social policy responses.
Maria’s central research interest within human trafficking is women's dual experiences of victimisation and agency. She is published and internationally acclaimed in her area. Maria is a member of CIRN: the Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Narrative at St.Thomas' University in Canada.
An affiliated interest lies in researching women’s experiences of immigration detention and removal centres, which Maria will profile at the 2018 World Summit on Positive Psychology in New York.
Maria is the module leader for 'Images of Crime' and co-leader for 'Deconstructing Deviance'. She also contributes to modules on ‘Risk and Vulnerability’, and is a departmental lead on research ethics.
Maria also supervises a number of undergraduate and post-graduate students across a diverse range of topics including female sex offenders, forced marriage, asylum, and people trafficking.
Maria is presently concluding empirical inquiry in the field of crimigration – researching dis/empowerment in migrant women’s experiences of immigration detention and the impact of self, policy and community in rebuilding lives. The ‘Rebuilding Lives’ project contributes to achieving a University of Sanctuary status for her university.
Maria is an active member of the Women, Crime and Criminal Justice network (British Society of Criminology) and the Wilberforce Institute of Slavery and Emancipation (WISE).
Journal articles (3)
- De Angelis M (In press), Narratives of Human Trafficking: Ways of Seeing and Not Seeing the Real Survivors and Stories
- De Angelis M (2017), Narratives of Human Trafficking: Ways of Seeing and Not Seeing the Real Survivors and Stories
View Repository Record
- De Angelis M (2014), 'I thought I am Modern Slavery': Giving a Voice to Trafficked Women
View Repository Record
- De Angelis M (2016) 'Human Trafficking: Women's Stories of Agency'. Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- De Angelis M (2016) Human trafficking; women's stories of agency.
- De Angelis M (2016) Freedom in Exile: Everyday Material Culture for Rebuilding Choice and Control beyond Forced Migration. In: Dixey R Women, Well Being and Health Promotion. : Cabi, pp. .
Conference contributions (3)
- De Angelis M (2017) From 'Bare' Life to Political Life: Immigration Ex-Detainees' Experience and Challenge of Bio Power Sheffield Hallam University 01/01/0001 00:00:00.
- De Angelis M (2016) John McKendy Memorial Lecture St. Thomas University 01/01/0001 00:00:00.
- De Angelis M (2015) Freedom in Exile: Control and Belonging beyond Forced Migration University of Leeds 01/01/0001 00:00:00.
Theses or dissertations (1)
- De Angelis M (2012), Human Trafficking