Research at Leeds Beckett
Dr Mohamad Hafeda
About Dr Mohamad Hafeda
First Year coordinator and studio tutor for BA (Hons) Architecture.
Hafeda is an artist, a designer and a writer. He is a founding partner of Febrik, a collaborative platform for participatory art and design research working on the dynamics of urban space in relation to unrepresented groups. He is a senior lecturer in architecture at the Leeds School of Architecture. He taught architecture and design at Westminster University, London Metropolitan University, Lebanese American University and American University of Beirut.
Hafeda holds a PhD degree in Architectural Design from the Bartlett School of Architecture, University College London. He is the co-editor of Narrating Beirut from its Borderlines (Heinrich Böll Foundation, 2011), and Febrik’s projects Creative Refuge (Tadween, 2014) and Action of Street/Action of Room: A Directory of Public Actions (Serpentine Galleries, 2016).
He is currently working on an authored book titled Negotiating Conflict: Bordering Practice in Contemporary Beirut (I.B. Tauris, forthcoming). Febrik works on site-specific projects and collaborates with local communities, NGOs and cultural institutions. Their projects include residencies and exhibitions at the Serpentine Galleries, South London Gallery, Victoria and Albert Museum, Mosaic Rooms, and Architecture Biennale Rotterdam.
Senior lecturer at the Leeds School of Architecture. Course leader for BA1 architecture. Dissertation supervisor for BA3 architecture.
Hafeda’s research addresses issues of borders, displacement, refuge and spatial rights. He focuses on the use of art and architecture processes as urban research tools to negotiate the politics and practices of urban space. He develops site-specific practice-led research methods that are culturally and politically specific. The outcome of which spans urban interventions and gallery art installations that aim for social change and structure writings that relate theory to practice.
His on-going research investigates everyday bordering practices at times of political conflict, and proposes the bordering practices of art and research as critical spatial practices for their capacity to transform certain border positions and expose the construction of narratives on divides. Particularly he explores the border condition of surveillance, sound, displacement and administration and their im/material negotiations in the production of urban space. He conducts participatory design processes in refugee camps in the Middle East and with migrant communities in the UK and explores the potential of play as a mechanism to activate the role of individuals and their representation in urban space.
Journal articles (1)
- Hafeda M (2016), Bordering practices: Negotiating theory and practice. Architecture and Culture, vol. 4 (3), p. 397-409.
- Hafeda M; Charif R (2016) Action of Street / Action of Room: A Directory of Public Actions. . .
- Charif R; Hafeda M; Jabri JA (2014) Creative refuge: art-based research workshops with children in Palestinian refugee camps. . .
- Hafeda M; Charif R (2017) A Space for Ambiguity: Play and Playfulness as Spaces of Protest. In: Hafeda M; Charif R Trading Places: Practices of Public Participation in Art and Design Research. : , pp. .
- Hafeda M (2016) The Twin Sisters are 'about to' Swap Houses. In: Hafeda M Engaged Urbanism: Cities and Methodologies. : I.B. Tauris, London., pp. .
- Hafeda M; Charif R (2016) Definitions of Playgrounds: Negotiating Spatial Rights. In: Hafeda M; Charif R Growing with Design. : University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg, pp. .
- Hafeda M (2016) Negotiating and Narrating Urban Public Spaces as Forms of Bordering Practices. In: Hafeda M Open City Lagos. : Heinrich Böll Foundation Nigeria, Nsibidi Institute and Fabulous Urban, Lagos., pp. .
- Hafeda M (2015) Negotiating and Narrating Urban Public Spaces as Forms of Bordering Practices. In: Hafeda M Practicing the Public: About Shared Spaces in Beirut. : Published by As-safir daily, Beirut., pp. .
Conference contributions (3)
- Hafeda M (2015) Practising Ethics University College London 20150101. London: .
- Hafeda M (2015) Bordering Practices: Negotiating Theory and Practice Leeds Beckett University 20150101. : .
- Hafeda M (2014) Bodies in Public Queens University & American University of Beirut 20140101. : .
- Hafeda M (In press), The Social Playground: Spaces of Protest.
- Hafeda M (In press), The Bartlett PhD Research Projects Conference and Exhibition.
Films or broadcasts (1)
- Sewing Borders (2017) Hafeda M. : Ashkal Alwan Production
- Hafeda M (2016), Action of Street/ Action of Room website.