Dr Neil Evans
Dr Neil Evans is a Principal Lecturer and Course Director for the BA Human Geography and BA Human Geography and Planning Courses in the School of Built Environment and Engineering.
Neil's doctoral research was concerned with community participation and capacity building in neighbourhood regeneration in the Japanese inner city, and planning for reconstruction after the 1995 Hanshin (Kobe) Earthquake. This involved a period based at the University of Kobe, conducting case study research in several districts that were devastated by the earthquake.
After joining the CUDEM research team as a Research Fellow in December 2001, Neil initially worked on a ESRC-funded project entitled "Regionalisation and the New Politics of Waste", concerned with how new policy agendas, institutional arrangements and political pressures are influencing strategic planning for the management of municipal solid waste across England.
Neil has since worked on a variety of European-funded projects concerned with spatial planning, including ESPON 2.3.2 concerned with the governance of territorial and urban policies. He was also Project Manager for a study conducted jointly by CUDEM and ERBEDU for the European Parliament: "The Possibilities of Success of the Sustainable Communities Approach and its Implementation".
Neil became a Senior Lecturer in human geography and planning in 2007 and subsequently Course Director in 2017.
Neil mainly teaches on the following courses:
- BA Human Geography
- BA Human Geography and Planning
He is currently Module Leader for
- Research Methods (jointly)
- Sustainable Places
Neil is currently conducting research into Leeds' responses to climate change pressures and analysing its policies towards promoting climate change mitigation and adaptation using the conceptual framework of risk management regimes.
Journal articles (5)
- Evans N (2011) Lost in translation? - The Bristol Accord and the sustainable communities agenda
- Evans N (2008) Terrotorial governance in the making: approaches, methodologies, practices
- Davoudi S; Evans N; Governa F; Santangelo M (2008) Territorial governance in the making. Approaches, methodologies, practices
- Evans N (2007) Using Earth Observation Data in Spatial Planning: The Geoland Project
- Davoudi S; Evans N (2005) The Challenge of Governance in Regional Waste Planning