Dr Peter Robinson
Before joining Leeds Beckett as Head of the Centre for Tourism and Hospitality Management, Peter worked for ten years at University of Wolverhampton, as a Senior Lecturer in Tourism and Events, then as Head of Leisure and latterly as Head of Marketing, Innovation, Leisure and Enterprise. Prior to entering academia, Peter worked for the National Trust, West Oxfordshire District Council and University of Derby, initially managing £0.5m EU funded tourism projects which ultimately led to the creation of the destination management organisation, Visit Peak District. Peter also has experience as a Director and Trustee, and is currently Chair of the Elvaston Castle and Gardens Trust. He is a business mentor for Virgin Start-up and has developed and sold businesses in the travel and IT sectors.
Peter is a Fellow of The Tourism Management Institute and The Institute for Travel and Tourism. He is a member of The Tourism Society and is a Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. Peter enjoys working with businesses in the tourism and hospitality sectors and has worked with on consultancy projects with First Rate Exchange services, The British Motor Museum, Lichfield Cathedral, Leicester Cathedral, Burlington Slate and The Holker Group, Utopia Leisure and TUI.
Peter teaches a broad spectrum of subjects but specialises in tourism business development, destination creation, visitor experience, heritage tourism, dark tourism, destination marketing and urban regeneration.
Peter’s research interests focus on prosumption within tourist experiences, Cold War tourism, nostalgia, urban exploration and visitor experiences. Peter is a reviewer for several journals and has been a guest editor for The Journal of Destination Marketing and Management and the International Journal of Management Practice. Peter has written 10 books, including the first textbook discussing operations management in the travel industry.
Journal articles (4)
- Li SCH; Robinson P; Oriade A (2017) Destination marketing: The use of technology since the millennium
- Fallon P; Robinson P (2017) 'Lest we forget'*: a veteran and son share a 'warfare tourism' experience
- Hall S; Oriade A; Robinson P (2016) Assessing Festival Attendees' Behavioural Intentions through Perceived Service Quality and Visitor Satisfaction
- Robinson P (2014) Emediating the tourist gaze: memory, emotion and choreography of the digital photograph
- Robinson P; Rosli A (2015) Who controls whom? Interaction dynamics and success of university-industry initiatives. In: Handbook of Research on Global Competitive Advantage through Innovation and Entrepreneurship. : , pp. 173-186.