Dr Tom Dobson
About Dr Tom Dobson
Course Director for Masters degrees in the School of Education, Tom is a former secondary school teacher whose research interest focuses on creative writing and identity.
Having taught secondary English for a number of years, Tom teaches creative writing pedagogy on both undergraduate and postgraduate courses within the School of Education.
Since April 2017, Tom has been Course Director for our Masters provision and is looking to bring relevant and exciting Masters provision to our School. For example, in September 2017 we welcomed our first cohort to the multidisciplinary MA Drama & Creative Writing in Education; September 2018 will see the start of the much-needed MA Leadership in Mental Health and Wellbeing.
- Creative Writing Pedagogies
- Drama & Creative Writing in Practice
- Literature & Childhood
- Major Project in Education
Tom has published widely in relationship to creative writing and identity and this year he has been working with colleagues on a United Kingdom Literacy Association sponsored project. The key finding of this project is that drama gives primary school pupils more agency with their creative writing at a time when school writing is restricted by policy and testing. Through the Story Makers Company they are also developing research into cultural projects which utilise creative and critical pedagogies, which promote learner autonomy and which aim towards social justice.
Tom is also currently the principal investigator for a project on school governance for Lloyds Banking Group (LBG). This four-term project focus on what LBG volunteers can bring to school governing boards and the final report is due to be published in February 2018.
- Schools and education organisations secure £50,000 University research fund
- New research shows that drama improves children’s writing and motivation to write
- First degree to support mental health leads in schools launched at Leeds Beckett
- New drama project to increase primary school children’s engagement in writing