Research at Leeds Beckett
Dr Tom Herron
About Dr Tom Herron
Tom has particular interests in twentieth- and twenty-first century Irish poetry.
He is currently working on a monograph of poetry in the public realm. This project is a critical evaluation of poetry in diverse contexts as diverse as Ian Hamilton Finlays Little Sparta, Poetry on the London Underground, Irish Presidential inauguration speeches, poems written in response to the death of Diana Mountbatten-Windsor, poetry in the landscape (such as Simon Armitages Stanza Stones) and poetry produced in the aftermath of Bloody Sunday in Derry.
- At undergraduate level, Tom teaches on four modules on the BA (Hons) English programme: Poetry (Level 1); Critical Reading (Level 1); Theory into Practice (Level 2); Writing in a Time of Violence: Literature and Politics in Northern Ireland Since 1970 (Level 3).
- At postgraduate level, he teaches the following modules on the MA English - Contemporary Literatures: Poetry and Poetics, and Writing after Conrad.
- Tom also supervises MPhil/PhD students.
- Trashing the Aisling: re-vision and anti-vision in contemporary Irish poetry
- One or many albatross?: imitations, translations, and versions of Baudelaires LAlbatros
- Heaneys handmades: poetry, objects, things
- Notes from the Underground: Seamus Heaney under London
- Performing animals - Paul Muldoons decompoetics
- Singing the Long War: the political ballad in Post-Agreement Ireland.
Journal articles (3)
- Herron T; Dodge J; Crowley R; Mitchell J (2011), Dislocations of culture in Tony Harrison's 'Shrapnel'
- Herron T (2010), Mayo Littoral: Michael Longley's Eco-Elegies
- Herron T (2004), Dead men talking: Frank McGuinness's: Observe the sons of Ulster Marching Towards the Somme
- Herron T (2018) The real things: Seamus Heaney's objects. Manchester: Manchester University Press.
- Herron T ed. (2013) Irish writing London 1 Revival to the Second World War. Bloomsbury Studies in the City London and New York: Bloomsbury.
- Herron T ed. (2013) Irish writing London 2 Post-war to the present. Bloomsbury Studies in the City London and New York: Bloomsbury.
- Herron T (2012) Irish Writing London: Revival to the Second World War. 1. London and New York: Bloomsbury Academic.
- Herron T; Campbell J ed. (2008) Harrowing of the heart: the poetry of Bloody Sunday. Derry: Guildhall Press.
- Herron T; Lynch J (2007) After Bloody Sunday: representation, ethics, justice. Cork: Cork University Press.
- Herron T (2013) Notes from the Underground: Heaney in London. In: Herron T Irish Writing London. : Continuum International Publishing Group, pp. .
- Herron T (2013) With the Galleried Dead: Seamus Heaney's London Underground. In: Herron T Irish Writing London. : Continuum International Publishing Group, pp. .
- Herron T (2013) The Sins of the Children: William Trevor's The story of Lucy Gault.. In: Delaney P; Parker M William Trevor: New Readings. : Manchester University Press, pp. .
Scholarly editions (1)
- MacNeice L (2007), I crossed the Minch