Research at Leeds Beckett
Dr John Allan
About Dr John Allan
John is a former NHS manager and Head of Sport & Leisure in a post-16 college. He has 18 years of teaching experience ranging from award-winning OE programmes for students with learning difficulties to lecturing at Masters level.
John has been an educational consultant for the League Football Education Association, however, his passion remains in the outdoors. He provided sports science support (psychological strength-based functioning) for the Everest West Ridge 2006 Expedition, undertaking two trips to the Himalayas and was Deputy Leader on a university staff/student expedition to the Everest region in 2009. He is an active member of the Institute for Outdoor Learning, BASES and the BMC.
Research outputs have included international and national journal publications, book chapters, key note address, conference symposiums and presentations.
- Undergraduate teaching:
- Applied Pedagogy
- Psychology for the Physical Educator
- Outdoor & Adventurous Activities Adapted,
- Major Independent Study (MIS) Supervision
- Outdoor Education
- Policy and Practice
- Leadership through the Outdoors
- MIS Supervision (Sport & Exercise Psychology).
Current research includes analyses of the psychological resilience of incoming students into higher education as predictors of academic achievement and evaluating outdoor residential experiences upon the resilience and self-determination of students in educational transitions. Understanding of the active beneficial processes of adventure learning across the lifespan has also featured through a neurological evaluation of resilient brain functioning.
Journal articles (3)
- Allan J; McKenna J; Buckland H; Bell RL (2014), Getting the right fit: Tailoring outdoor adventure residential experiences for the transition of school children, Research Matters
- Allan J; McKenna J; Dominey S (2013), Degrees of resilience: profiling psychological resilience and prospective academic achievement in university inductees
View Repository Record
- Allan J; McKenna J; Robinson M (2008), Building Student Resilience through First-Year Outdoor Adventure Residential Experience in Higher Education
View Repository Record
- Allan J; McKenna J; Cobley S; Robinson M (2010) Psychological Skills in the Outdoors. In: O'Hara J; Cooke C; Bunting D Mountaineering: Training and Preparation. Champaign: Illinois: Human Kinetics, pp. 217-232.
- Allan J; McKenna J (2010) Resilience. In: O'Hara J; Cooke C; Bunting D Mountaineering: Training and Preparation. Champaign: Illinois: , pp. 233-246.
- Student residentials can help new starters stay at university
- Celebrating our new PhDs at graduation
- Leeds Beckett praise for Gurkhas Everest summit success